APC Forum

Paper fast fuse

wyzard10

Good question, I have been looking for it for the past four years and have not found a good source yet. I did find some short lengths being sold by Pyro Direct some time ago but they look to be out of stock as well.

I have yet to see it at PGI again and it seems that the pink visco has all but replaced it at the trade shows. I use it all the time for fusing my rocket headers to the rocket motor, I now just pull black match and use that in its place, it works just the same.

A little research on this and others forums shed a little light on this subject. It seems that back a few years ago, there was a rule change for fuses on individual items and the paper fuse was largely replaced by the green 'canon' fuse. With that, the great three-strand, paper-wrapped fast fuse seems to have become extinct. While I imagine you can make a close facsimile at home, perhaps, you may wish to move on to another type of fuse.

Wow, I was unaware it had gone off the market. I have a big roll of it in the magazine, but I only use it as a source of black match.

That's the stuff. There's a tutorial on some site for making paper fuse but I haven't found it again yet.

Jakespeed

That stuff looks nice. Have you tried the crackling balls yet? Are they similar to dragon eggs?

Jakespeed

That stuff looks nice. Have you tried the crackling balls yet? Are they similar to dragon eggs?

the balls are quite loud for their size

i'll try to record a video over the weekend

i have no dragon eggs to compare to

Pyrocreations has the crackling fuse but not the paper fast fuse. There are a couple of sites that have it in 3 foot lengths but that doesnt work for what i need. I primarily use it to fuse 3 inch shells and if you cut it in halve its just to short. So your left with a shorter length that can only be used for smaller stuff.

I made a ton of quickmatch for 3” shells. It’s pretty simple to make. Then ya just attach 20 seconds or so of visco and yer all set.

Maybe attaching visco to what you can get... the half 3 footers is a solution as well eh.

• 4 weeks later...

I found 10 rolls of the exact same Fast Paper Fuse this weekend. PM me if interested, first dibs for Wyzard10, them the rest go to those that PM me in the order they are received. If you want to post here, feel free but it wont hold you a place.

gallery_9798_35_1994904.jpggallery_9798_35_198448.jpg

I MUST ask this: (and Dave, it's not against your selling the fuse, but....) (and I'm not 'impugning' anyone, either, but still I must ask...)

WHY aren't people who declare themselves to be interested in pyrotechnics learning to make the merest "basics", like black match, piped match, spolettes, etc?

These things are the MOST fundamental building blocks to making pyro. And, they're not hard to do.

Wyzard would be able to pipe-match his setpiece in no time at all, if he had any piped match. And he could have it, if he'd learnt to do it!

All of the 'basics' require only black powder, a little binder (perhaps), water, and work. And they pay dividends like you wouldn't believe!

LLoyd

Lloyd,

No problem, carry on.

I was just picking through a retiring pyros stuff and I found these rolls of the fuse the OP had asked for. Personally, I am shifting to spolettes and handmade quick match for my pyro needs.

Actually your question is understandable and it basically boils down to time. I have a job that has wierd and sometimes long hours and i just dont have time to do it all. Ive spent months working on making charcoal and black powder so im not against putting in the time. I just dont have enough it to go around to make it all by hand

BTW Did you get my private post Dagabu?

Yupper, PM coming to you this morning.

P.S. The fuse is all gone. Thanks all...