APC Forum

Dummy shell - size transforming

Maxim

Hey guys, I need some help. I am making an 8" ball shell. I will paste it with 9" long 1" wide strips of craft paper. Also, I want to train to paste it, but cause I have only 2 pares of hemis - I am looking towards 3" hemis to be my "dummies". You might ask me " Why are you trying to train to paste 8" with a 3" dummy?". Well, there is a reason, the method, that I will use, has a lot of poles and axes, so I want to see how those things are gonna look on a 3".

The thing is - how smaller do I need to make my strips if my 8" shell ( before pasting ) is 192 mm OD, the size of strips for 8" are 228.6 mm long and 25.4 mm wide and my 3" shell dummy is 65 mm OD , I just want to see where all my axes and other things are gonna be placed.

Thanks! ;)

I'd go by proportions. A 192mm OD hemi has a diameter of 603.2mm. Assuming poles which are even on both sides, 228.6mm strips will leave poles that are 73mm in diameter. A proportional diameter hole on a 3" shell would be 28.6mm or slightly over an inch. Both sound like pretty reasonable pole diameters to me. That equates to strips which are 73.5mm long. I'd suggest going with a narrower strip though. Perhaps around 18mm.

• Like 1