APC Forum

Experimental 0.9" shell

Maxim

For such a small shell that was incredibly good! Yes they survived the flash but considering the number and brightness of the stars it must have been difficult to assemble such a well performing tiny shell! Edited by Merlin

Nice things do come in small packages. Good job!

That was very surprising, considering the size of the shell.

I am thinking of a 3" shell filled with those! They will be a bit smaller ( 21.66 mm OD ), but still!

The shell has 45 mm active area and 15 mm plugs. Stars are cutted.

Here is the casing:

7GC0h3jErjI.jpg

Um, Merlin,

I don't think he ever mentioned the size of that shell.

The STARS were made in those tubes (pillbox stars) -- or at least that's the way I read it.

LLoyd

Edited by lloyd

Sure he did: 20mm id, 24mm od

Pillbox stars that big would have burned a lot longer than under a second.

Nope, Biker, that was the size of the stars -- ABOUT 0.9", which is what he stated was the size of the stars on his video title.

I do not believe the 24mm had anything to do with the size of the shell.

We'll see, if he ever responds to our questioning of this. But he even said that he's considering making a 'smaller version', with 'only' a 3" casing, and that 'they' (the stars) will be smaller, at only 21.6mm.

LLoyd

I interpreted it differently Lloyd. Maxim communicates in English quite well, but even still I find myself allowing for a less literal interpretation when reading things from non-native speakers.

I interpreted it as a small shell of 22mm ID x 24mm OD (0.944") containing phenolic red microstars, and chinese flash as the burst. In the 5th post it is stated that the stars are cut, and not pillbox. The burning time of ca. 1 sec. and 2mm thick walls is also at odds for pillbox stars from my, albeit limited experience. I also took the 5th post to mean he'd like to make a 3" shell full of these mini-shells as inserts. I do fully understand how the video title could be misleading, even with the accompanying description and discussion though.

In any case, I'm sure Maxim will be along to clarify before too long.

Great looking shell by the way. I do agree that a 3" shell full of those would look great. I assume you're fusing through one of the ends for the testers, but side fusing may be easier for packing into a larger shell as inserts. It also more easily allows for multiple stacks of rings should you desire that, or fill larger shells with those inserts.

• Like 1

Congratulations Maxim! an incredible shell to be to small

Wow! So much confusion! The shell,which was shot, had 20 mm ID and 24 mm OD. It ( the casing ) was 2 mm thick, made from 100 g/m2 craft paper and PVA glue. The stars were about 3x3-5x5 mm, red, bound with phenolic resin. The burst is the chinese flash, The photo, that I posted - is the photo of the casing ( the shell ), before filling it with stars and burst + making plugs. The shell weighted 35.6 g.

Mumbles, about the fuse going throught the side.....shouldn't that make the symmetry worse? I mean - from one side of the tube we will have a stronger ( if a lot of glue is added aroung the fuse ) or weaker part ot the tube.

PS: the star size includes the prime, so it's the size of a ready star.

Edited by Maxim

To be totally honest, I'm not sure about how the symmetry will be affected. I've never side fused any inserts made in quite the manner you did. They've always been either salutes, or spiked and pasted. I can say that when used as an insert with multiple going off at once, the symmetry is less important than if fired singularly. They will sort of blend together, especially with how hard yours break. In any case, the side fusing doesn't really make things easier until you're using multiple rings per shells.

Oh yes, you are right, Mumbles - there sure will be a mess of stars in the air, no need for a nice symmetry:)

Maxim

What would you estimate the distance you were from the shell when you photographed it.

Edited by Merlin

To me feeling - in bursted on a normal height. I stood about 10 m from the mortar.

Impressive. I freeze framed the burst it is great!post-19046-0-17520800-1461039436_thumb.png

I still don't see the confusion? The title is "Experimental 0.9" shell" with the thread immediately stating the dimensions.

The video is titled "0.9" shell with red stars".

I'm sure there was something to give confusion, I'm just not seeing it.

Doesn't really matter anyways.

I still don't see the confusion? The title is "Experimental 0.9" shell" with the thread immediately stating the dimensions.

The video is titled "0.9" shell with red stars".

I'm sure there was something to give confusion, I'm just not seeing it.

Doesn't really matter anyways.

It appears Maxim renamed the video for clarification. It originally said .9" red star(s). I don't recall exactly if it was star or stars.

Maxim how do make these inserts? Just like chinese inserts? Plug, stars + flash anf plug with the fuse between the plug and casing, or do you drill a fuse hole? And in which order?

I will use them with fuse through the plug.

How much flash are you using? And that is the only burst correct? So it's essentially a small bombette.

And the Chinese flash is a formula you found? Probably perc and sulfur and dark aluminum? Or maybe even chlorate, sulfur, and bright paint grade flake aluminum? Guess I should just let you answer instead of guessing.

Ok I get it was not a ball or canister but a one inch tube ( insert). I don't understand the type of fuse. Foil wrapped Visco? The time lapse from the mortar to beginning of burst was1.06 sec

Yeah, Biker... I was wrong, but the video was clearly labeled "0.9" stars" until he renamed it today to reduce the confusion.

Not bad for a 1" bombette!! <G> 30mm was as small as we ever went commercially -- but 'tuned' well, they can be nice little shells.

Lloyd

Well, I didn't measure how much flash I put there, it's about 3.5-4.5 gramms. The flash,t that I use is a common flash on a russian forum for breaking small shells and as a booster for big shells. Unlike Thunder flashes it has a "swifter" burst and a lot more ingition power for the stars.

KClO4 - 40%

MgAl 200 mesh - 25%

Sulpfur - 20%

Al 325 mesh bright flake - 15%

The fuse goes through the plug, the fuse is visco 2.8 mm thick.