APC Forum

Drying Your Balls

OldMarine

It may be a common practice but it's new to me: After washing your milling media I've found that a colander in the bottom of a Shop-Vac bucket will completely dry your media in about 10 minutes. Give it the occasional shake and you're done. Edited by OldMarine

I prefer a towel. (OK, STOP IT!)

I mean, I prefer a towel to dry media. After 'toweling off', it takes mere moments to appear fully dry.

But Patrick, beware. If you're using lead media, some porosity can develop on their surfaces, and even though they appear completely dry, may trap enough moisture to cause problems with sensitive materials. SS media not so much, ceramics, even more.

After toweling-off, I prefer to expose my balls to a "hot blow job" (or a drying chamber) overnight.

<G>

Lloyd

I don't have a drying box yet and though I know it doesn't matter I still don't like excess gray in my KN03 from the charcoal. I let it drain in a screen box for a bit before throwing it in the vac but I listen to you and will let it sit for a day or two.

Sage advice is my favorite flavor!

For a drying box, I use a food dehydrator I bought at a resale shop for $5. It works great, though it is a bit limited in size. The only modification I did was cut a few circles out of window screening to line the shelves in it.

Edited by MadMat

I have an Excalibur dehydrator and I never thought of using it. Great idea!

After toweling-off, I prefer to expose my balls to a "hot blow job"

I tend to not wash my balls. Kitty litter takes care of the cleanup, if i have to clean em at all. I don't run my balls with a bunch of different comps, so i don't have to worry about it.

But i can see advantages to your strategy as well.

B!