APC Forum

The sometimes fatal cost of this hobby

TheSidewinder

If you are referring to the accident last week in the NW United States; it was a display company and involved commercial product, not a manufacturer. Details are slim, but reports are pointing to loading and shipping of prematched product.

That is what it sounds like. If the reports are true, it sounds like they may have been prematching product and then loading it into a trailer to be transported to a show.

Egads! I got serious 'pucker' even carrying boxes of product from the matching table to the guns!

Egads! I got serious 'pucker' even carrying boxes of product from the matching table to the guns!

This bothers me a little bit too. The safest place to install an e-match to a shell, is when the shell is loaded and fully seated in the mortar. This means, that should you experience a premature ignition, the shell will go up and will most likely function as it was intended. Many commercial shells have a short leader with the match port on it and cannot be fully seated in the mortar. When loading these, I hold the leader with the match port and drop the shell as far as I can while keeping my hands clear of the muzzle of the mortar. Then install the e-match and tie it off as you normally would. If the shell should launch, it might go low, but you'll have time to get away. In any case, most of us don't wear the full PPE while loading a show that we do while it is firing. With a t-shirt and shorts like most of us wear while prepping shows, I would expect some minor burns from the muzzle blast of the lift and a good scare from the surprising lift. However if the shells were dropped of the mortars or on a table while they are being prepared, with even more exposed product in the vicinity, an exploding shell and burning stars on the ground would be a disaster

While I do prefer firing an electronically fired show, it is a common misconception that it is safer than hand lighting. The risk has just been moved from firing the show to setting up and tearing down. In recent years, more pyros have been killed setting up electronic shows than during handlighting. Most of the accidents can be traced back to transporting pre-matched product, or installing e-matches anywhere besides a loaded mortar.

• Like 1

If you are referring to the accident last week in the NW United States; it was a display company and involved commercial product, not a manufacturer. Details are slim, but reports are pointing to loading and shipping of prematched product.

Yup, that's the one. I guess I didn't read the article carefully enough the first time through. I was just shocked that the guy who died was 74 years old, and had been in the business for many years. Somehow you just don't expect the old, experienced guys to buy it.

You know the old saying? "There are old folks in pyrotechnics, and bold folks... but there are no old, bold folks."

... and then I read here about one accident after another happening to you folks, and I must admit it gives me pause.

How do you all cope with the knowledge that the next firework might be your last? Do you all wear your PPE religiously? Do you just maintain a state of denial about how dangerous your hobby is? Or have you simply made all the contingency plans you can, paid up your life insurance and your home insurance, keep your wills up-to-date? Or what?

-- Paravani

Saying that every shell could be your last is like saying every drive to the store could be your last. A bit fatalistic for me.

I suppose there's an element of denial involved, but I find comfort in the fact that I control my exposure to the dangerous elements of firework production. If I knew that I would lose a hand or worse, I'd quit. I operate on the assumption, or on the faith that that won't happen.

It is hard to explain, especially to those who don't know me. Risks can be minimized with PPE and following best practices, but they cannot be eliminated. I am religious about PPE, rack construction, knowledge of the product and techniques when using it. The danger is there and very real, but you are still more likely to be hurt or killed on the road to a pyro shoot than at one. I also have a dangerous job and a couple othet hobbies that are slightly risky.

• Like 1

He better be careful not to drop it.

post-10245-0-94465700-1404636450_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How do you all cope with the knowledge that the next firework might be your last? Do you all wear your PPE religiously? Do you just maintain a state of denial about how dangerous your hobby is? Or have you simply made all the contingency plans you can, paid up your life insurance and your home insurance, keep your wills up-to-date? Or what?

Oh, i use a proven method. "It wont happen to me" subconsciously makes everything feel so much better.

Not that i make a habit of skipping the safety stuff, but it doesn't really matter. Something you do can always get you. It will be the thing you least expect. So there is no need to worry about it. I mean, yes, people get hurt by pyro. How many that have been handling pyro gets a violent death by some mean they couldn't ever influence?

To be honest i think the pyro has a smaller chance of killing me then my MTB biking has. And i don't walk around keeping my will up to date just so i can go out for a ride 5 times a week.

Anyone here drive a motorbike? I hear fatality rates for you guys are pretty high. High enough to get some exclusions or write-offs in life-insurance policies. Pyro generally isn't even mentioned...

What i mean is, it's bad enough already. We don't NEED to go around worrying about everything, all the time. Be realistic when you do your assessment of the danger, and treat everything as if it was as dangerous as it actually is.

B!

• Like 1

I have been hurt mountain biking and downhill skiing more times than while doing anything else. I even have some permanent proble.s from a couple crashes skiing, one from a jump and the other from a GS race. I have known more people who were hospitalized from both of those two. On just about every group moutain bike ride, someone brags about being the first to bleed. I live my life without regrets and without letting myself be scared by what might happen. Take reasonable preautions from risks, but know you cannot control life.

Pavarani,

Just finished a discussion with my oldest son before reading your post. Did the Devil (as knowledgeable as he was) know he was going to suffer eternally when he disobeyed the Almighty; and if the Devil knew, why did he do it anyway?

We do things when we know the consequences can be disastrous, because we allow ourselves to be drawn by them. Fireworks and fireworking are great fun and we allow ourselves to be exposed to the risk of working (playing) with them because of the pleasure received.

Once you make the decision to proceed, you do the best to minimize risk by following proper protocols and employing appropriate equipment. And my friend, MrB, is wildly correct--there is a heavy dose of denial swallowed by people engaged in dangerous hobbies. I also agree with Nater in that we cannot completely control life (just where we go when it is over). We only know that life in these bodies is finite.

So we balance pain and pleasure while trying to behave in a right manner. And as one pyro master here said, it is not just us, but our family has to be ready for the worst, also. My hope is that I lose interest in this hobby before I am injured by it. Or, better, as an old man, that I die from this pastime or other cause, before getting maimed by a major pyrotechnic mishap. You younger chaps will have to be a bit more cautious, as you are more likely to survive a tragic injury.

Welcome to this forum. You will appreciate the safety-consciousness of its members. And I wish you a safe, happy and healthy life in or out of pyro.

Edited by hindsight
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your replies.

I have to admit that dying for art doesn't worry as much as losing my hands. I really love my hands and all my fingers; I like being able to count to ten without taking off my shoes! ;-D

I've been reading all the safety advice I can find. It does look a bit like there's a smart way, and a not-so-smart way to handle everything, including explosives -- and cars! Like defensive driving, "defensive" fireworking means taking the attitude that everything out there can and will kill you if you let it back you into a corner -- so you stay out of corners, don't ever let yourself get blocked in with no escape route, and avoid practices that are well-known to be stupid in the first place (like tailgating, or mixing chlorates and sulfur).

It's sort of the reverse of denial -- being hyper-aware of the risks, not just accepting them but looking them straight in the eye like an enemy, facing them straight on and using the weapon of wisdom against them.

Stay safe, everyone!

-- Paravani

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello all this is a tragedy but even a split second in safety can cause your life. When I was in my first year of pyro I had a slip up with safety and a brain fart due to I was making some stars and got in a hurry and decided to try to hold them over a heater to dry them. I thought that they were still damp they could not light but to my surprise they did and with in a few seconds the building was full of chocking smoke and I barely made it to the door. Now safety is the most important thing in my shop not how fast I can go. Everyone needs to put safety first because you might not be as lucky as I was.

Rcfun42

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

And this is what is stopping me. Second thread in to reading the FAQ, and just when I think I have read enough books, google articles, and videos, I can not pull the trigger on pursuing this hobby. No matter how much I enjoy ear drum ringing reports, sky filling colors, or the feeling of a small shock wave.

RIP Mr. Tad K and condolences to the family.

Edited by Macvade

Yupper, it can be a hazardous hobby but so can walking, falling in a shower is thousands times more likely and deadly to many.

30 days in a coma, still limited use of my hands and skin grafts over my entire head, hands and forearms, I still build and light pyro.

I fear the drunk I may face going home from work tonight more than I fear the breath of the dragon again.

Yes, stay away from pyro if you fear it or the consequences.

• Like 1

MOD EDIT: This is a very somber, and sobering, anniversary which is upcoming. I strongly suggest ALL members re-read this.****************************************************************************************************I hate to be the first one to post this, but:http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/03/26/bnews/br30.txtOur fellow pyro, Tad K as many know him, had an accident that cost him his life. Although I didn't know him personally, I felt somehow that I did, through this and other pyro-related forums. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.This is addressed to everyone:While fireworks may not be inherently dangerous (that's arguable) they are, perhaps to an even greater degree than the Sea or Aviation, terribly unforgiving of carelessness or mistakes.It appears that Tad made a mistake. Tragically, he paid the ultimate price. Though we don't yet know whether Tad did so or not, this should be a VERY sobering warning to those who consider cutting corners in the safety department. Mark

Can you post the article I have yet to renew my subscription to the Missourians or whatever it's called. I'd like to read it.

You can access it by answering the survey below the headline.

I must be doing something wrong. The link takes me direct to the article. Is it region specific?

B!

I use an adblocker and am having no problems with ads. :)

I recommend uBlock Origin. It's a free, open-source browser extension available for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

• 1 month later...

This kind of thing is a great reminder that our hobby should be taken with caution. It sounds like he had way to much material that was already made in his workshop. It worries me making larger batches, although I know larger batches are more consistent. How do you store batches you're not able to use immediately? Assuming you don't have a BATFE license.

• 4 years later...