#41 stix

stix

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, Model Rocketry, Programming, Photography

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

A 20kg (44lb) load cell should do nicely for testing. You can buy them pretty cheap ($15-20) off Ebay. The sparkfun amplifier should work fine.

Creating the contraption that mounts the load cell is the fun part. There are many ways of doing this - just make sure it's strong and sturdy. In any case, a good design can always be up-scaled to suit a larger load.

I almost can't believe that it was 15 months ago that I started this post. I'm still mucking around with writing software - the basis is using an Arduino development board - that project started in June 2015. More than two years back. With the software and data acquisition, I've taken a different approach.

My software can be used to record data (via a tethered device) or can import data from other devices, and export files. Recording and analysis is all done in the same window.

I'll report back in another two years when it's all finished. :)

9YZyDJ8.jpg

I just start the conversation - someone else has to question them.

#42 Baldor

Baldor

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

This screenshot looks fantastic!!

And also the reason I want to do something as simple as possible in the electronics and software side. I'm currently a little tired of designing, making and programming electronics. I know that if I start something serious in electronics, I will never end tweaking it, there will always be something that can be done better, some function to add, you know... So an spreadsheet and a text data dump should be enough for me for now.

Only testing the water for now, before I start with the test stand I must finish the paper rolling machine, make some nice tooling, some static tests just to find the right composition, ....

#43 stix

stix

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

I'm pretty sh*t at electronics. That's why I've always looked for a solution that doesn't require too much of it.

The Arduino board is not too hard to set up. It has input/output digital and analog channels. It's like a building block where a person with limited knowledge (but great ideas) can assemble a solution.

My software is the interpretation of that data. I've done some programming in the past, so I have an idea of what I think is required to record the testing of rocket motors.

Lots of fun :)

#44 stix

stix

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

I probably should have asked the question in this post instead of creating another:

http://www.amateurpy...subjects-files/

If someone has some data, that would be much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users