APC Forum

eastern red cedar shavings

rogeryermaw

for those with experience with this material as a source for b.p. charcoal, this is the "red cedar" my local meth head mart carries. is this brand actually "eastern red cedar"? or have i been bamboozled? there is no break down anywhere on the packaging and the alfa pet website is unclear on this. i hate to go to all the trouble of processing it if it is some less desirable wood....

post-19283-0-45620400-1457069844_thumb.jpg

thanks brad!! its all your fault...you got me started on that stuff and now i'm hooked!!

Edited by rogeryermaw
  • Like 1

Yes it does appear to be the real deal.. Can usually tell by the appearance and the overwhelming smell ;)

Makes some great BP..

-XP

Roger, that is indeed ERC! :) We have the same brand around here too. Wish you lived within driving distance.. I would deliver you a truckload of ERC from the sawmill!

Brad you ought to be selling Rice hulls where you live.

Does it matter at all if it's Eastern red cedar? Western red is supposed to make good charcoal too, I thought, so as long as it's red cedar I'd think it's fine.

Western red cedar should still be fine. It's not as good as the eastern variety. According to Danny Creagan's tests, it'll probably be on par with commercial BP. So it will still be good, but definitely outside the top tier of charcoals.

After trying many different woods out here in the west the ERC pet bedding is most definitely the quickest way to produce excellent BP. My experience here is that the Cottonwoods in my area make the fastest BP but the time spent processing it make it not hardly worth the effort when you can go to wally world and buy a pack of shavings that crush easily and are ready for milling in less than an hour right out of the bag.

Other woods are supposed to be better, such as Paulownia (I've found it in parks), cascara, big-leaf maple, and red alder. However, there's a lot of effort involved in stripping the bark off and splintering the wood.