APC Forum

Another Ball mill topic

Tweetybird88

I have some chunky sodium benzoate that I want to grind down for some whistle. Is there any precautions that I should take like with magnesium? And while we're at it any other things that shouldn't go in or any concerns? Thanks.

It is safe to mill by itself.

However you will need to do a good cleaning of the mill when you are done.

Maybe even keep some media just for the benzoate if possible, at least media only for fuels.

Sodium benzoate is a bit waxy and is hard to mill in some cases, specifically when wet. If you encounter caking problems try cooking the product for a few hours at 110C and then mill it.

• 1 year later...

Parlon can be milled, but it will take exeptionally long to become really fine due to its rubbery nature. I'd suggest using steel media if you don't like your stuff grey, it's heavier than lead so it will take less time.

I've only milled it on combination with dextrin and CuO so far, so it might be worse or better to mill it on its own.

As long as we are on the subject of hard to mill chemicals...

Does anyone have any advice for milling SGRS? After drying I managed to break it into smallish chunks, but after 50 hours of milling with brass media I've got a pathetically small amount of powder and even that is still fairly course.

Is there a trick to this or do I just need to leave it running for a week or two?

Parlon can be milled, but it will take exeptionally long to become really fine due to its rubbery nature. I'd suggest using steel media if you don't like your stuff grey, it's heavier than lead so it will take less time.

I've only milled it on combination with dextrin and CuO so far, so it might be worse or better to mill it on its own.

I hope you meant to say that steel media is heavier then ceramic media, seeing that lead is one of the denser metals.