APC Forum

easy safe crackling (stolen formula from China)

spitfire

Copper oxide (black)..........68

MgAl 250 mesh..................30

Bismuth trioxide....................8

I really would like to make some crackling eggs! But I can not find MaAg 250 mesh, the best I can find is something like 200 -350 mesh and I am not sure that would work. I do not have a lot of money to spend to find the right mixer (penny pincher) :wub: . I like forumuals that work right out of the box in order to save cost. I know that this hobby can cost. But if someone could let me know of a good MgAl mesh size and forumual ratios that would work that would be great. I do thank thoses that can help............Pat

PS Or if someone knows where to get 250 mesh AgAl that would be great.

Edited by patsroom

I've tried it since my last post and used my 200-325 mgal. I was pleased with the results. Nice single cracks.

As Lloyd stated above, you need to size the granules for even performance. I had some larger scraps that would pop on one side and shoot the rest across the yard unlit.

As Lloyd stated above, you need to size the granules for even performance. I had some larger scraps that would pop on one side and shoot the rest across the yard unlit.

When you say granules size I take it to mean the crackling egg mixed and dry. That why they all will pop at the same time when lit......................Pat

Yeah, the finished product should be consistently sized.

• 7 years later...

You signed up today, found the old Crackle formula, and got it to work? Impressive.

I've not made this formula (lots of others, most of which worked as advertised with Bismuth Trioxide amounts ranging from 37.5 - 74). Since Bismuth Trioxide is so expensive I was saving my last couple pounds to find a cheaper formula.

- have you made other Crackle?

- if so, how is the noise / decibel of this formula? I've tried other formulas with little Bismuth, but it was more of a weak Crackle - unlike Lloyds formula which sounded like a insanely loud firecracker.

- do you have video of this Crackle you could share?

Thanks, and welcome to the site! - Chuck

You signed up today, found the old Crackle formula, and got it to work? Impressive.

I’d not seen this post. Tried 10 grams. I can’t get it to do anything but a lazy flash/strobe. Unimpressive. Maybe still too “wet”. I’ll try some after a complete dry, but...

Edited by Richtee

Thanks for testing, I was a little concerned I would get the same result that you are finding so far.

I have tried many a Chinese or other "low Bismuth" / high copper oxide / high Mg/Al formulas, and I've only ever gotten a weak pop yo more of a fizzle and lots of airborne copper oxide (which tells me there wasn't enough Bismuth to react with).

However the two formulas I've had great results with incredibly loud single bangs are Lloyds formula (74/13/12 +5% Atomized Al) and one from Danny Creagans site (37.5/37.5/25 - 25 is the Mg/Al). The Creagans formula was louder with a longer delay, Lloyds are loud but consistent timing.

• Like 1

Thanks for testing, I was a little concerned I would get the same result that you are finding so far.

I have tried many a Chinese or other "low Bismuth" / high copper oxide / high Mg/Al formulas, and I've only ever gotten a weak pop yo more of a fizzle and lots of airborne copper oxide (which tells me there wasn't enough Bismuth to react with).

However the two formulas I've had great results with incredibly loud single bangs are Lloyds formula (74/13/12 +5% Atomized Al) and one from Danny Creagans site (37.5/37.5/25 - 25 is the Mg/Al). The Creagans formula was louder with a longer delay, Lloyds are loud but consistent timing.

I added +15 Bismuth after a complete fail with the OP. POW. Apparently there’s no “holy grail” crackle/DE mix :D

• Like 1

Nice.

OP - please don't take my comments as we don't believe you, I would be curious to hear more about how you got yours to work, and what for.ula you compared it to. Either way, kudos to you for figuring out Crackle, it took me several tries before I was able to get a working Crackle.

Been a while since I've been on this site, but have recently been looking at low Bismuth crackle. Most recently I've used the following comp as microstars in comets, no priming required, and it works well. I think the basic comp has been posted as "experimental" Chinese crackle on Fireworking (in formula database) and my version is slightly modified. Anyway it is as follows: CuO 66, MgAl 200-325M 28, Bi2O3 6, Ti fine atomized 10. Bind with 10% NC by weight in acetone. I size it using a kitchen box grater (isn't pyro grate, er great?) and screening to about 10-12 mesh (screen slicing too slow and messy. It takes practice, and I can do a few pounds an hour.). Definitely cheaper with the lower Bi trioxide. Check out the PGI 2023 member built display on YouTube. The crackle comets (or almost all of them) all use this comp; you can't hear them very well on the videos, but the crackle is quite loud. Looks like the topic kind of fizzled out after about 2018, but I'm still interested in low/no bismuth crackle. As an aside, looking at the Feb 2017 AFN, on page 7 there is a mention of Chinese "time rain" composed of CuO, MgAl and Ti, said to be an "effect somewhere between a glitter and a crackle". Now THAT caught my attention. Some of you will know exactly what I mean.

I remember reading that conversation about time rain vs. Crackle and the cheap Chinese Crackle thread. I don't recall trying it at the time, as I was getting over my disappointment of finding out time rain wasn't actually Crackle. I did try a couple similar comps though and never got more than a brown poof cloud and a slight Crackle noise.

I'll have to try it again though, since others seem to have some success with it, thanks.