• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 schroedinger

schroedinger

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

^^ wait thats just basic multiplication, but you got not problems with things like 1/1000" ?

#22 BlueComet24

BlueComet24

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Pyro, nature, model rocketry, hiking.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

Schroedinger, sounds like you cooked up about 200g of IPS, right? I bet your neighbors love you. :P

#23 schroedinger

schroedinger

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

200g? 3kg ^^

(OK test was 50g), the 3kg got split into 15 smokes of ~200g.

#24 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

I've always wanted to get the big bag of ghost peppers my brother tries to give me, dry them out good, and grind into a powder.

Then take a bit of mineral oil and let them soak for a few weeks. As you heat up the wax add in about 10% of the oil and make like normal.

Just to see what happens. I bet it would be pretty mean. Might be good to have on hand for the zombie apocalypse!

It's been a few years since I messed with a paraffin wax smoke. Is there much flame coming out the choke? Seems like it just smoldered and sprayed out smoke if I remember right?

#25 BlueComet24

BlueComet24

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

I've always wanted to get the big bag of ghost peppers my brother tries to give me, dry them out good, and grind into a powder.

Then take a bit of mineral oil and let them soak for a few weeks. As you heat up the wax add in about 10% of the oil and make like normal.

I may have tried adding 2% ground black pepper to 60/40 sorbitol rocket candy. It wasn't pleasant, but not terrible (I didn't take a big breath of smoke, as I was rather hesitant). If you really want something nasty, try this: http://www.pyrodb.or...sition.php5/285

However, that comp puts out a toxic smoke that is very choking and awful. I accidentally got a little whiff of it the one time I tested it and I was periodically coughing for a few hours. 

It's been a few years since I messed with a paraffin wax smoke. Is there much flame coming out the choke? Seems like it just smoldered and sprayed out smoke if I remember right?

No flame should come out the choke. It just burns like a smolder, but a bit more intense, and puts out lots of smoke. If you don't choke the tube properly then it turns into a flamethrower.

#26 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, some comps are a challenge to keep from flaming up which consumes and destroys the smoke. There are a few I've tried that only smolder and don't seem to want to flame up and I was thinking this might be one but sounds like I'm remembering wrong.

#27 Exo

Exo

Playing with fire

• Donator - HE
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

The pariffin smoke formula works great in tin cans i have made them in baby food cans for small smoke flares and large dog food tins for bigger ones.
The larger ones are better if you add a center cavity to aid the burn and smoke relese, i choke them with 5 or so turns of alfoil wraped around the tin and extending 4 inches above the tin and and lightly choked at the top, this stops the smoke flare from flamming.

Edited by Exo, 11 March 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#28 BlueComet24

BlueComet24

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

Paraffin-based smoke comps are the only ones I trust to put in a metal container. I still use cardboard, but IPS and similar comps shouldn't be able to overpressure like rocket candy.

#29 BlueComet24

BlueComet24

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

It's been a while since I've provided any updates on this comp, but I wanted to share my findings on improving the characteristics of it:

- Adding about 0.2% red iron oxide (Fe2O3) makes the comp ignite much easier and stay lit more consistently. Adding more seems fine, you could try 1%. It'll take fire from American visco.

- Drying the KNO3 helps to make sure the comp ignites as stated in the original post, but I recommend drying it before blending so it doesn't clump up so much.

- Don't use too thin of a tube, as this seems to increase the likelihood of the comp going out. I normally use 1x2.5" tubes (25x64mm) with a cardboard disk taped on top, and only a 1/8" (3mm) hole for the fuse, which is big enough for the smoke jet.

- Using granulated sugar and blending it to a fine powder seems to be better than using confectioner's sugar when it comes to ensuring ignition and lowering cost (and reduction of powdery messes!) but may cause small sparks to jet out occasionally, so the sugar should be finely ground and then screened to remove any grains.

Edited by BlueComet24, 26 August 2019 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users