APC Forum

Pyro material send by mail

Aspirina

I have a question. Send by mail fireworks is illegal ( that's what I understand ) at least I know of no company that handles such shipments. So? as you can buy fireworks online? They have some kind of permission? or they send it to luck?

I say this because I bought several times pyrotechnic material on the Internet and the package arrived safely, but without any danger
warning...

More then likely, your packages have been shipped the wrong way.

In reality i think the biggest risk you take as buyer is, not getting your stuff.

The seller, however, can probably be fined, and, if something "bad" happens, be held liable.

B!

I understand ... with fuse the same rules apply? there a way to send such material legally? you know how likely they are to register the package? because I said, many online stores send these packages without any type of warning sign.
forgive for many questions... It 's something I've never been clear...

Thanks for you reply Firebreather :)

There are legal ways to ship certain items, such as fuse and Estes engines for example, either as ORM-D or Hazmat. Certain carriers have their own sets of rules as well. Failing either of those, there is common carrier with appropriate placarding and endorsements. Whether people follow the letter of the law is an entirely different matter.

I don't know if you speak of shipping them by post in the USA, or elsewhere.

It is completely illegal to ship ANY explosive materials by United States Postal Service (including even fuse), except for a rare exception of TINY laboratory quantities, which may only be mailed with very extensive special documentation and large extra fees.

We have recently had a pyro supplier in the US shut down because of mail shipping of regulated goods. (and even fuse is a 'regulated' material).

Lloyd

Do any of you believe that it will soon be completely cost prohibitive or impossible for the average hobbyist to obtain Visco/Time Fuse/Fast Paper Fuse through our current shipping methods here in the US? I contacted one supplier and they told me they were unable to sell Time Fuse because of the current regs. I'm unfamiliar with the constantly changing regulations regarding the sale and shipment of fuse and/or chems.

Yep, I do believe that will happen, Dixie!

But it also does not concern me. I can make ALL of those things better in my own amateur shop than anything I could buy through mail-order.

Fast paper fuse? Phhhtttt... a lark. Quickmatch? Nothin', and we can make it better than the commercial stuff!

1/4" time fuse? Well...

That's not 'fair' in one respect, because I own a commercial time fuse making machine. But if I did not, spolettes (in ALL sizes of shells down to 3/4") would be a better, more-accurate replacement for 1/4" time fuse.

And there's nothing else explosive except for time fuse that we - as a community - need to buy that we cannot make better.

Lloyd

Well, your assessment seems rather devastating to the future of hobbyist pyro, where most depend on the mail order sales of the needed product, unless the most dedicated start to build their own fuses or have access to them from somewhere. I myself just loaded up on high quality 1/4 in. Time Fuse, in anticipation of the legal decree that this product would soon be banned from sales to the hobbyist.

Naw, Dixie... you miss my point.

I do NOT think 'basic' supplies will become unavailable, only explosive components. We can _already_ make those fuses, etc. better and cheaper ourselves than any commercial operator can.

So... what's the loss, there? I don't get this "downfall" concept. If anything, it might make amateur pyros more productive and technically capable than they were before it happened.

Lloyd

Well if shipping becommes the issue, does it also becomme a problem for display operators? Propably not.

So it will be more like, you want fuse, one more reason to join a club and attend their events and pick it up from a geoup buy.

Also many different fuses can be picked up at firework stores combine that with what you can make yourself and you have everything you need.

wow guys, thanks for all replys! Okey, I think it was clear... the best option is make oneself all components.

• 4 months later...

Lloyd, when you say "we" you may mean a large group of people but to me it means "you" (and ?friends).

For an average joe it means something totally different. You're talking about huge costs. Not for one bit of tooling, or a machine, but many things that even a semi skilled pyro could not make easily.

I will never buy/build a visco machine, a timed use machine, a self ball roller, a fuse cutter/splitter/stabber, etc. the list is long. For me it is a HUGE deal to be able to order a product and have it come to me. There are no Chem, metal, pyro suppliers in my area. Yes, including paint shops and art stores.

Even with a visco type machine I could only imagine the HOURS it would take to figure out how to make very many of the types of fuse-- speed and effects.

Aspirina since you are in europe, ADR and maybe some extra country laws are what apply to you. ADR allows a lot of hazmat chemicals to be shipped, without any signs on the outside if some special packing measures are taken.

Shipping of firecrackers isn''t forbidden, but is very special, with ammounts and when you have to put warning signs on it and only special boxes are allowed. Many companies just send them in a plain package like regular mail, which is most times ilegal but is done to prevent to prevent that someone knows what is inside.

Skylighter sells novelty fireworks and ships them US mail ground. I'm not sure how, perhaps fuses and novelty fireworks are ORMD.

I think USPS allows you to ship certain hazmat if you have a letter from the postmaster general allowing you to do so.

Fireworks should not be sent by post. Your firework suppliers should have the ability to send things to you by suitable couriers.

Ingredients in reasonable quantities should be possible to send by post unless they can mix to form something in the package. Obviously the inert bits, board, paper, tubes etc are no problem by post. Fortunately it's the sender who is responsible for the postage, but it's inadvisable to use suppliers who you know will use unsuitable transport arrangements.

Fuels and oxidizers can't be sent in the same box by USPS but two separate boxes can be taped together so all can be included in the same shipment.