APC Forum

Can you paste ballshells with "large" sheets of paper?

Ubehage

I was pasting some small ballshells, when I had an idea. And I would like to know if anyone had this idea before me, and in that case if it works or not...

While I was pasting some small 1" ballshells, I thought about how easy those small shells are: 2 strips of gummed tape, and you have applied one layer.

Piece of cake.

So I thought about applying the same technique to larger ballshells, and of course using larger strips of paper.

I don't have much handy-tools for cutting paper and such. I do it all with measuring-tape and scissors.

So I'd like to skip all the hard work for testing this idea, if anyone else had already done this before.

It sounds like what you're describing might be somewhat similar to this method of pasting:

I'm not sure how well it works, although it looks pretty good and he shows a large shell pasted this way. Maybe the guy in the video says something about how well the shells turn out, which one of our friendly resident Russians could be so kind as to translate. :)

I wonder if squares would work alright, or if you'd have to cut circles.

• Like 1

Larger shells you need the circles of craft paper with cuts radiating out around the circumference

of the other edge of the disc of each paper. This allows the layers of paper to cross over each other

and minimize the amount of paper building up on the folds.

• Like 1

How about these as starting patterns? Just size them to the shell desired?

post-19283-0-75205400-1454329670_thumb.jpgpost-19283-0-25063500-1454329708_thumb.gif

Then just a small percentage larger for each layer...

Edited by rogeryermaw

I have a question about the pasting method on the video? First i don't do paper shells except for 1- 8" a year. As opposed to other methods of pasting doesn't that over paste the top and bottom? Maybe the video wasn't clear.

I use this method, and it works very well indeed. There is minimal buildup anywhere on the shell - much less than with the 3-strip method.. It's also fast and easy. I cut circles, and size them for about 1/4" overlap between the disks. This means a 6" circle for 4" shells, for example.

Kevin

• Like 2