Formulae please Maxim.

The Red formula:

Stron Nitrate 55%
MgAl 20%
PVC 12%
Phenolic Resin 8%
KClO4 5%
It's also known as go-getter formula.

Looks good especially for 1" I am going to shoot 2.5" this year, with some serpents.

Looks like your getting a good height and nice layered effects with such a small mine - do you mind posting more details on construction / star size etc.

thanks for sharing !

I use 15% BP ( 0,5-1 mm grain ) for lifting. After the BP is loaded i put a wad with a 10 mm hole in center on top of the BP. After that i add about 1/3 tsp of BP meal and load up the stars. And then i just put a wad on top of that. It all works really nice.

My BP is very fast, so even 15% usually burst up my mortars......those crappy chinese mortars, which i use for 1" mortars.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTjub-hiupk&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Maxim

• 2 weeks later...

Very very cool.

Can we replace perc with something else as we don't get perc here

You should be able to replace it with KClO3 if you have that. If not you can replace it with more of the strontium nitrate though it probably won't burn as fast and might not light as easy or tolerate being broken quite as hard though it should work fine. If you look at the parlon bound red rubber stars formula it is:

Strontium nitrate 53

Magnalium 19

Parlon 17

Red gum 11

Which is a similar formula but uses parlon instead of PVC and red gum instead of the phenolic and it doesn't need the perc and is a fast and hot burning star. It's also a very nice red but needs a good hot prime with a final prime layer of BP. The strontium can also be replaced with barium for a green though IMO, it isn't quite as nice as the red but still a good green. Green is actually one of the harder colors to get working well, again IMO, and any impurities will wash it out a bit. I had an easier time getting a passable green than I did blue and it seems like a lot of formulas just don't work that well unless you have a really pure grade of barium nitrate.