APC Forum

Smoke Bomb Color

avidus

Hi Everyone;

Today I have one more problem again. :) I am trying to make yellow smoke bomb but I did not manage it. Actually I am using KCIO3+Sugar+Tartrazine (36 - 24 - 40) but I did not get any yellow color from this recipe.

First I only mixed them and I tried and after this method I mixed them and melt them together, and again I didn't see any color again.

Please help me where is my fault.

Thanks.

You need to mix chlorate with lactose and the dye. That melted sugar method is for white color smoke.

You need to do more reading before you hurt yourself or others. Nothing about your post gives the impression that you have a true understanding about the safety procedures involved. Your other posts on this forum don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence either.

Besides that, the dye you chose isn't well suited to making smoke devices. For dyes like these to work in a smoke device, they need to sublime. Tartrazine is a triple charged molecule. Charged molecules generally do not sublime well. Find something else.

There are so many on line formularies that you should have all the information ready at your fingertips. Basically the lactose/chlorate flame causes the colour dye to sublime in microscopic particles so you get lots of dense coloured smoke, BUT the flame has to be minimal to sublime the dye without burning (much of) it.

Thank you for your answers;

I am going to buy Smoke yellow 33 and I will try with it. I hope I will manage it. I am going to share my results with you.

Thank you again.

• 3 months later...

You need to mix chlorate with lactose and the dye. That melted sugar method is for white color smoke.

Is this the same chemicals you would make smoke stars from for use in shells, mines and comets?

Lighter,

A number of man-made dyes may be used to make 'smokes' (in general). Among my favorites for reds and oranges are the para-nitroaniline colors.

Like most smoke dyes, these colors are easily destroyed by high temperatures. SO... we generate the maximum possible amount of gas at the lowest temperatures we can by building smoke charges with low-temp oxidizers, and low-energy fuels.

Chlorates and lactose fit those bills. Even those will burn at too high a temp for most dyes to survive, so we generally make such mixtures EXTREMELY fuel-rich to further lower the combustion temperature, and take mechanical steps to ensure that no flame from the material's surface survives past the combustion front, in order that the dyes are not consumed in the flame envelope.

LLoyd