APC Forum

worried about mixing certain star chemicals

Chunn7704

I got a quick question ive been concerned about. First off im pretty terrified to deal with flash period from reading all these forums for the past month. So in saying that ive been looking up star formulas dealing with color, getting tired of the charcoal based stars(TT) Now to the point. Alot of the star fomulas im looking at deal with perclorate,alluminum, and sulfer alone with other things. From what ive read that is a bad combination. How does one go about rolling, cutting or pumping a dangerous formula like that? wouldnt that be a bad idea?

Most, if not all are wetted before pumping or cutting. I'm studying up on that myself.

It depends on who you ask, some guys will add the metals fuels last, so that the mix is "safer" during the majority of mixing. I do what is outlined by Shimizu in FAST,

"The component materials are then mixed on the kraft paper by hand. People have different views about the order in which component materials are added to one another, but in practice the materials are mixed together at the same time, slowly and gently by hand as well as possible until the mottles of the composition vanish." (Pages 178-179, Fireworks, the Art Science and Technique by Takeo Shimizu)

As far as handling the completed (dried) stars or comets, specifically relating to the loading and packing of stars in cylinder shells, the following quote is one of my favorites,

"A word of caution is in order here. Great care should be taken when consolidating the stars, especially when chlorate color stars are being used. What one maker considers to be “tamping” stars may to another constitute “pounding”; the novice shell maker should never apply pressure directly to the stars with anything other than the fingers. Sometimes it is better simply to “bounce” the case being filled on the workbench periodically during the operation. Grievous accidents have occurred in the past during this critical step of assembly." (Pyrotechnica IX, Traditional Cylinder Shell Construction by A. Fulcanelli)

thats some good information. scary but good haha. thanks buddy

mabe ill just stick with tiger tails the rest of my life haha

This hobby involves an inherent amount of risk, which is a given. The best we can do is to take steps to mitigate those risks, and minimize damage and injury should something go awry.

I will usually pass all non-metal components through my screen at least once before screening or mixing in the metal. This is mostly just to break up clumps. If I'm grating materials across a screen, or need to pulverize some coarse bits, I'd prefer there not to be metal around.

I would suggest perhaps trying to work with some intermediate compositions to get comfortable with some new materials. Glitters are basically BP with atomized aluminum or magnalium, plus a few delay agents. In the grand scheme of things, they're pretty safe. Their biggest issue tends to be once wet, where they can undergo an unwanted reaction between the metal and the nitrate. For many, this is usually not that much of a concern on a hobbyist scale unless very basic compositions, or flaked metals (or both) are used. Using a time tested formula like D1, N1, buttered popcorn glitter, Win 20, etc. will give a trusted formula from trusted sources, and a wealth of experience.

Outside of glitters, there are also organic colored star formulas. You could choose a color formula with a low metal content (