15 replies to this topic

#1 j3cub

j3cub

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hi,  I just made my first batch of potassium benzoate whistle mix and used 3% mineral oil in the mix.  It seems to work very well.  I was just wondering what difference it would make to use vaseline instead of mineral oil in this mix. 

#2 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

Hi,  I just made my first batch of potassium benzoate whistle mix and used 3% mineral oil in the mix.  It seems to work very well.  I was just wondering what difference it would make to use vaseline instead of mineral oil in this mix.

Very little, they both work well. My personal experience has me using oil more often because it's more convenient. Your milage may vary.

WSM B)

#3 Col

Col

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

I use mineral oil for both whistle and strobe, works fine with acetone as a solvent

#4 Seymour

Seymour

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

I'm going to add that wax can also be used. Personally I don't know any performance difference between the three. As WSM said, whatever real difference there is will be "very little".

Have fun! :)

#5 mikeee

mikeee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

I have used both mineral oil and vaseline for whistle fuels.

I have also used a variety of solvents for wet mixing the compounds in a zip-lock baggie.

Some of the fastest fuels were made with Vaseline and Coleman fuel for whatever reason.

Fine mesh good quality chemicals are key to getting high performing super fast whistle fuels.

Acetone works fine and dries very quickly compared to some of the other solvents.

#6 pyrojig

pyrojig

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

I too have to agree with Mikee on this, I have noticed for some odd reason benzoate whistle mixed with Vaseline seems to be hotter , maybe its better being it kinda adds to the fuel value. ... not sure , just speculating , but M-oil seems slower IMO.  I think there was a really nice write up on whistle testing by dan creagan on his site

#7 j3cub

j3cub

Playing with fire

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

Thank you for your help.  I have been lurking on the site for a while now and find all of your experience priceless in helping a novice get started safely. Thank you all. 

#8 jerronimo

jerronimo

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

I have also used a variety of solvents for wet mixing the compounds in a zip-lock baggie.

Some of the fastest fuels were made with Vaseline and Coleman fuel for whatever reason.

Fine mesh good quality chemicals are key to getting high performing super fast whistle fuels.

Acetone works fine and dries very quickly compared to some of the other solvents.

Vaseline won't dissolve in acetone.

Edited by jerronimo, 09 November 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#9 pirotek

pirotek

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

except for this additive
I also used flaxseed oil
it quickly oxidizes and polymerizes, strengthening the fuel. it seemed to me that this gives a more gibrophobic effect

#10 boule

boule

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Meh, pretty much any organic or mineral oil can be added in order to achieve the desired grain formation and improved handling.

- Lanolin in alcohol works great for me, I use it anyways (reloading), so there is plenty at hand.

- Vaseline and mineral oil work fine as well, vaseline just tends to be a pain to dissolve

- You could probably use the rest of the castor oil that you slipped the other guys at the last convention......

#11 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

Pirotex, (gibrophobic)? Doesn't translate, do you mean hydrophobic, or are you describing a different sound to the whistle?

#12 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

I've used Coleman fuel to dissolve Vaseline, and it works very well. It also dries fairly fast (it's very flammable and work with it should be carried on outdoors, away from any ignition source). I believe the mixture works so well because Vaseline and Coleman fuel are both petrochemicals and don't absorb moisture (but acetone and alcohol do).

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 18 November 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#13 bobd

bobd

Playing with fire

• Donator - HE
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

Pirotex, (gibrophobic)? Doesn't translate, do you mean hydrophobic, or are you describing a different sound to the whistle?

Hydrophobic--Russian does not have an "H"--for example-English 'hospital'--> Russian 'gospital.'

Bob

• NeighborJ likes this

TANSTAAFL

DILLIGAF?

#14 calebkessinger

calebkessinger

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Interests:Making tools, Cannons, Rockets,
    Mostly just lighting rockets! :)

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

I use canning wax.. 2%   heated and dissolved in napth/colman fuel. 

I like the way the fuel flows better when you scoop it, and It has a nice shiny slick surface after being pressed. 

www.woodysrocks.com 
Pyro tools made by a pyro.
Light it up!
https://www.youtube....LBbbcufSqUn48bA

#15 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

I just got a deal of 5lbs of wax so as soon as I finish up my bottle of mineral oil I'm switching to wax. Didn't like the Vaseline. Seemed sticky after drying.

Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#16 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted Today, 08:02 AM

I just got a deal of 5lbs of wax so as soon as I finish up my bottle of mineral oil I'm switching to wax. Didn't like the Vaseline. Seemed sticky after drying.

I agree about Vaseline in mixes seeming sticky. The wax (paraffin as it's called in grocery stores in the US), sounds like a good idea.

Years ago, a friend from the Eastern half of the US shared a process he used to make powdered wax. He ran a blender full of ice till it was like a slushy snowball and slowly poured melted wax in while it was running on the high setting. Afterward, he filtered the melted ice (water) out and dried the powdered wax. The wax stayed powdered after that.

I've always thought about repeating his process to make powdered wax, and use it as an additive in rocket nozzle mix.

One day, maybe...

WSM B)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Whistle, Mineral oil, Vaseline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users