APC Forum

Case Former sizes, layers of paper, spiking, ...

Ubehage

I found this data-sheet that details the size of case formers for different shell sizes, how many layers of paper (and what type of paper) to use, and how many turns of spiking for the individual shells. And also how spolette and time-fuses should be made for the different size shells.

Case Former Dimensions.pdf

Edited by Ubehage

That looks like a fairly complete list of specifications for cylinder shells and standard sized case formers etc.

Mikeee, if you say this list of former sizes etc is correct, I'm saving it. Your formers are works of art and in demand so that speaks volumes.
  • Like 1

Oldmarine,

Larger case formers can vary in size depending on the type of shell being made and the mortar that

is available to shoot the shell from. I have had a number of builders request custom sizes based on

the type of shell they wanted to build. I have also made some extra long case formers for builders

wanting to add additional rows of inserts for specially designed shells. I have also made a number

of different sized case formers for rocket header casings. The document Ubehage posted contains

all of the standard dimensions quoted in the Fulcanelli articles which is the standard in the industry.

I was going to point out that the 12" shell former ought to be 10.75", but 11 is probably still usable.

Maser,

Seems like most of the larger case formers are made for the individual builder and the methods and techniques

they use in building their shells. I have made 12" tools in varying sizes based on each individual builder's specs.

The sizes have varied as much as 3/4" from smallest to largest in diameter. I would assume the builders are adding

additional layers of support on the inside of the shell based on the size of inserts they are using and allowing for

exterior spiking and layers of paper on the exterior for the final dimension of the shell. The larger shells are usually

designed from the inside working outward to the final dimension needed for the gun/mortar. Depending on the finished

size of your inserts and the number you are fitting in a ring will determine the size of the former you need for the shell.

You can always fine tune the size of the inserts to fit the size of case former you have on hand.