• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Maserface

Maserface

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

This is a gerb that I made, black powder based with additional coarse steel powder for sparks

Type: Gerb

Caliber: 1" ID

Performance description: Black powder with coarse steel powder for sparks

Formula: 100 parts screen mixed black powder, 15 parts steel powder.

Additional Details: The composition was wet with 1% moisture (to reduce messy dust) and pressed into the tube at 3500PSI.

IMG 0572

Edited by Maserface, 06 January 2016 - 12:24 AM.

• Sparx88 and michalsiegel like this

#2 Sparx88

Sparx88

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:20 AM

This is a gerb that I made, black powder based with additional coarse steel powder for sparks

Sparks!, I like sparks. :)   and thems some nice ones

What kind of steel was it? Did you make it? comon man, pleeeease tell me, I got the sparx itch coming on!

.
Finding solace and comfort on my path of pyrotechnic illumination and enlightenment. Painting the sky with strokes of vibrant anticipation and freedom. From spark to spark, the chain reaction of beauty and power that ignite the imaginations and inspirations of young and old alike.        -my pyro sparxs- 

#3 Maserface

Maserface

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

Its this stuff

I got it on one of the sales for about 50% off, this was my first project with it, but I really like it!  

You might need a protective coating on the steel if you plan on storing finished devices for more than a few weeks.  I shot mine within a few hours.

• Sparx88 likes this

#4 Sparx88

Sparx88

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:29 AM

Right on, preciate that. This would look good for rockets which is what I'll do first when it arrives..::)

.
Finding solace and comfort on my path of pyrotechnic illumination and enlightenment. Painting the sky with strokes of vibrant anticipation and freedom. From spark to spark, the chain reaction of beauty and power that ignite the imaginations and inspirations of young and old alike.        -my pyro sparxs- 

#5 Stef727

Stef727

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

Replace the steel powder with titanium sponge. 

You will be surprised at how good and bright it will be   :D

Edited by Stef727, 07 January 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#6 michalsiegel

michalsiegel

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Really nice gerb! :) What dou you say about my magnesium fountain?

https://youtu.be/2XLXZajB2pA

#7 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

I may have already posted this here but here's my first gerbs (BP and Ti) 3 lb x 6"

Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#8 Maserface

Maserface

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:03 AM

Nice!

You guys should make your own respective threads, with more details (like the one we are in). It makes keeping up a lot easier ;)

#9 memo

memo

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:gold mining, now fireworking

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

maserface, you have me thinking now . I wonder if the metal fillings left behind by a cut off saw would work ? it is mostly fine metal with a little bit of cut off saw blade mixed in. I am going to give it a try hand ramming. I don't have a press.

memo

#10 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

I wonder if the metal fillings left behind by a cut off saw would work ?

Probably depends on the sparks you want, and the teeth sizing on your saw, but it works, i use it all the time. I've also used turnings from lathe's, and mills. If your priority is pyro, and not production times, you can set up your cut and feed speeds so that the later two produces ready to use material. Doing it like this leaves you with a hot, clean product, without contamination from cutting fluids, since you haven't used any.

If your just grabbing whats "left over" after metal working, more often then not it ends up being soaked in cutting fluids. I haven't bothered to actually wash it. I might rinse it of, just to get the worst of it out, it seams to speed up the drying process, and doesn't leave a sticky mess behind. But that might depend on your cutting fluid. We use water-soluble synthetics. Supposedly biodegradable, and "green", yet it has to be collected by a waste disposal service, and is treated as hazardous material. (Only the thrown out fluids, the metal goes straight to recycling, if i don't steal it)

B!

#11 memo

memo

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:gold mining, now fireworking

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

mr b this is a dry cut off saw. the only junk in the filing would be fiber from the disk and not much of that.

memo

#12 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

Those disc's pretty much set what ever they cut on fire, (possibly bad) and only produce dust. (possibly good) I'm not sure that's going to provide the kind of result your looking for. Try it, but it might turn out the iron dust is already "spent" so to speak.Then again, it might not.

B!

#13 Elisey

Elisey

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:23 AM

Gerb and wheel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users