APC Forum

blue star comp

MadMat

In my quest to get a better blue star, I've decided to add ammonium perchlorate, hexamine, and copper oxide to my inventory of chemicals (I have been using copper carbonate/ potassium perchlorate formulas). To anyone having experience creating blue stars with these type comps, I would like to know some basics, such as, ease/difficulty in getting these stars to ignite, or any other special considerations. Any info would be appreciated.

Use sulfur as the main fuel(potassium perc as the oxidizer ). You'll get an easy-to-ignite blue.Among all the pyrotechnic fuel, sulfur burns the coolest and produces least heat per gram,therefore the color is deep and saturated.

Hexamine is a good fuel if you don't take its hygroscopic nature into consideration.AP stars produce great color,but the incompatibility makes priming troublesome.

Here's a sulfur fueled blue for reference. Make a small batch first because my parlon(from China) may be different from yours.

KClO4 56

CuO 16

Sulfur 17

Parlon 7

Dextrin 4

Thanks PIL! I can try this formula out before I go to the trouble of buying any ammonium perchlorate.

Edited by MadMat

The Hardt #6 Blue has been my go-to Perc blue

Potassium Perchlorate: 62

Copper Oxychloride: 12

Sulfur: 18

Dechlorane: 4 (can substitute Saran 1:1)

Dextrin: 4

I have no experience with AP. I use Potassiumm Chlorate, so I made the decision to not have AP around rather than deal with this hazardous incompatibility.

I believe there's way too much oxidizer in hardt#6. Most organic fuels that are rich in carbon and hydrogen consumes generous amount of perc while sulfur only use 2.17gram of perchlorate per gram. Too much oxygen present in a flame will destroy CuCl, washing out the color.

Something to say about my formula.Since it's a perchlorate-sulfur formula,it's a little bit more sensitive than the resin fueled formulas .So treat it with care.

PIL

Hardt Blue #6 is pretty alright I think. Mumbles did a conversion of it for me back towards the beginning of my pyro to work with what I had. I in turn tweaked it one step further to increase sensitivty and a larger flame envelope with out ruining the color;

P.Perc- 62

sulfur -18

black copper oxide -12

Parlon 4

Dextrin 4

then I add dark aluminum (5413) - 3

I like it. been using it since. It woke right up with the aluminum. Primed with hot bp and 70/30. BP 75 + perc flash 25.