APC Forum

What is your #1 New Year-creation?

Ubehage

What did you make for this New Year, that you consider to be the #1 item. Maybe your 12 o'clock shell/rocket.

I made a 5" double-break shell.

First break, after 4 seconds, breaks with BP- and Whistle-coated rice hulls and a ring of Winokur#20 with dragon egg-cores.

After 2.5 seconds, hopefully right after the eggs has exploded, the second break will explode.

The second break is a 5" BP-salute with 3 pieces of 2" flash-salutes which will go off with half a second delay individually.

A 3" jelly fish shell. First time I try to give a pattern to a shell, I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

Edited by Andres1511
  • Like 1

A new 5/16 reporting rocket design using 3" long 7/16 rocket tubes slip fitted and filled with 5/3/2. Small, fast, and well, pretty friggin fun.

Also tried a new firefly mix in a 2" cylinder, turned out awsome.

But my favorite was a test, these 7/8" TT matrix comets with 3/16" blue/green parlon bound cut micro stars.

And yes, no video :(

Col, those tubes your using are some meaty haus boss tubes, nice work. Clean build :)

Edited by Sparx88

They are the rejects that didnt make the grade for rockets, anything under 7000psi burst get used for cakes, gerbs or wheel drivers. Here`s a (strobe/whistle) rocket grade tube

post-10522-0-83809400-1451669105_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col
  • Like 1

Shell was a 4" 1.5 s to a ring of C6 crossetes, 2.5 to a rijg of beraqs, 3.5 to 2nd ring of beraqs and 6 to a BS. Worked nicely except for the beraq timing, a little short they only spread about 3 m.

One thing more don't do use to much firefly Al in a Gerb without short layers of hot metal free fuel. They look very beatifull but after a short time they just cloq the nozzle and turn into a salute. Really impressive how loud a 3 lb gerb becommes with just screen mixed fuel and made with 80 - 120 mesh charcoal

I made a 4" stand alone. Then i took everything i had left over and put it in a 6" plastic ball shell, it was pretty, it just didn't go high enough. Well i got my first flower pot.

"Not high enough" and "flowerpot" are two separate concepts, normally. Do you mean by "not high enough", "not out of the gun"? THAT's a flowerpot!

LLoyd

I tried a few shells last night. My favorite was a 3" go-getter shell, Yankie's Purple + 20% FeTi in 5/8" tubes. No video - just getting the racks in position did me in.

Kevin

All the inserts came out of the tube burning and went up about 20' and came back down. For some reason the top of the shell blew out. I have an idea what happened Lloyd but i will let you tell it.

Um... that's WAY more difficult than an ordinary "flowerpot". It sounds like the LIFT never fired, but the shell (apparently only mildly broken) broke without any lift in the gun!

Ooof!

Lloyd

Actually the lift did go off. It was like the shell blew first then the lift or even at the same time. It looked like a star mine. I'm thinking fire might have went in through the leader ring, or the seam, but i usually seal it pretty good. I guess the shell could have maybe had a hairline crack in the top. I did have a 2" shell hot glued to the top with a 4sec. fuse, but i don't think that was it. Here is a picture of the shell i found about 20 and 30yds. from the tube.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/20160102055910.jpg

Well the jelly fish failed :( The rest was good. Shimizu purple is a dissapointment in shells do, I'll be looking for a metal fueled purple.

I knew about this before it happened, but couldn't say anything until after I'd talked with Anthony Santore.

His display company (the one I used to manage before retirement) Fireworks by Santore, Inc. shot the tower effects this NYE. There were hundreds of single-fire effects on there made by his manufacturing company, Evolution Pyrotechnics Mfg, Inc., and 42 of the multi-shot plate effects that I machine for him here at my shop. It was a treat to see it all go well!

I thought you'd all like to know that this stuff hits a lot "closer to home" than most would suspect!

Lloyd

post-20238-0-69102200-1451753781_thumb.jpg

I stayed up one time to watch that and they never showed the fireworks.

Well the jelly fish failed :( The rest was good. Shimizu purple is a dissapointment in shells do, I'll be looking for a metal fueled purple.

Try Ruby Red with 20% of the strontium nitrate swapped out for black copper oxide. Go more or less to taste. I really like that Ruby Red, if it were a babe with 36-24-30, and a Red head, I'd do'er.

Edited by Sparx88