APC Forum

Funnel and rod

OldMarine

I can't seem to find a description of this method of filling tubes although it's recommended for several gerb and waterfall comps.

Pyrotechnics by hardt has probably the best description of that method, Ned does a conceptually similar method with a hydraulic press, let me find the find the video.

Lancaster, 3rd edition, page 179:

For charging narrow-bore fireworks, such as pinwheels, lances, and squibs, a funnel and wire often proves to be the quickest and most efficient method.

The narrow end of the funnel is normally turned out of brass, with the remainder of the funnel made of copper which is soldered on to the brass. The narrow brass end usually just fits into the end of the tube to be charged and, after filling, leaves a convenient empty space for the prime. (Fig. 8.5).

The brass or phosphor bronze rod is as large a diameter as possible, provided that it will allow the powder to flow down the side and into the tube. The wire is usually furnished at the top with a wooden or brass knob or handle. Tubes can be charges quite solidly by this method and it does not take long to acquire some degree of skill. Compositions filled by this method frequently need the addition of a "flow agent", or else the composition will tend to stick in the funnel. 1% tricalcium phosphate can be added for this purpose.

In other words, you pour loose comp into the funnel, then by lifting and lowering the rod you let it out of the funnel and consolidate it in the tube.

Ah thanks. I was way over thinking that one. I was picturing another contraption I'd have to build or buy and I'm all spent out for a while.

Patrick,

It's a general tendency in the industry to "pooh-pooh" old-fashioned methods like that in favor of more 'efficient' technology. Sometimes, though, the old ways are just as good technically, and lots less expensive.

We had a long-running contract with Sea World (under Busch Entertainment) where they used about 50 very custom colored lance floaters a night (actually floated in the lagoon). We evaluated building a large lance press, but the order was subject to cancellation at any time, we had little other use for custom lance, and the colors changed so frequently on the orders that we knew we could never economically justify the machine and the floor space -- so we taught an operator to funnel 'n' rod them.

Within about two days, he was making the nightly order in less than thirty minutes, including clean-up. 'Can't-hardly beat that!

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

I'm learning fast that "efficient technologies" is metaphor for "gimme all yer money."
  • Like 1

Ummm. (embarrassed) I don't know where my head was when I typed "ten minutes". It was more like thirty. Still time-efficient -- about $500 worth of labor per season and $10 worth of equipment vs. a $25K press!

L

For single color lances I load them inertially, but color-changers must be made by hand. One you get the hang of it it is very quick and easy. I simply super-glued a short piece of brass tubing (about 3/8" long) to a plastic funnel, sized to fit inside the lance tube, then used a 1/4" brass rod to fill.

Kevin

Having used a funnel and wire for filling lances and portfire cases, I would suggest that it is easy to do badly but actually quite an art to get right. Thin cases such as lance cases will crush at the top if you are not careful and they should feel rock hard once filled to be a good product. Don't let that put you off, a little practice is all that's required. It is a very efficient and cheap method once you get the hang of it.