APC Forum

Pyro Tips and Tricks

Stef727

This is a thread that is meant for little tips and tricks that you guys found over the years, plz share them :)

Here is one of mine:

Really dry black powder ballmills faster and gets a lot finer before it clumps, I personnally put the kno3, sulfur and charcoal in the dry bot for a few hours before milling, for me it reduces the milling time from 9h to 7h and it's also finer.

Edited by Stef727

When you roll a tube and it's hard to take it of the thing, on which you roll it - add some oil aroun the thing befor rolling the tube!

• Like 1

Max,

If a tube is difficult to remove, then while it's still damp, turn it in the direction on the former that will tend to EXPAND the windings. *turn in the direction that forces the inside bitter-end to go 'forward' in the direction of that end around the former*

It will not change the finished diameter one whit, but will make it much easier to remove.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Use a spoon to scoop things out of a container, don't try pouring powders or you'll make a mess!

Never trust a lid! Don't pick up jars and such from the lid, only by the base. It could spill otherwise.

These are also applicable to other things, i.e. in the kitchen.

Keep a set of scale calibration weights to check your digital scales. Dust can accumulate under the plate and cause enough resistance to throw measurements off by a large amount. Don't ask me how I know this :-\

When you roll a tube and it's hard to take it of the thing, on which you roll it - add some oil aroun the thing befor rolling the tube!

I actually use a bit of dextrin on the tube.

Don't use PVA glue (white, Elmer's) on visco. It "kills" the visco. I'm sure it does the same to blackmatch.

Wait. PVA will kill blackmatch, because it will dissolve the KNO3, but it can't kill visco of it's coated with NC! You visco must be ancoated!

Lloyd, sometimes even that does not help remove the tube! ;)

Elmer's glue will even kill my American visco. It's not heavily coated in NC and is uncoated in some patches. I believe it's the stuff from CannonFuse. Water won't kill fuse permanently, only temporarily (until it dries), while PVA permanently kills it. My hypothesis is that the PVA works its way between the granules of BP in the fuse and then dries, creating a fireblock that stops it from burning. Dextrin, on the other hand, does not do this.