APC Forum

Windows 10 reminds me of MSDOS6.22

stix

Unbelievable!

I recently purchased a second hand computer (box only) that has windows 10 installed (apparently legit). It doesn't have built in wi-fi so I attempted to install new drivers for a wi-fi dongle that I bought 3 months ago. What a f*cking absurd drama it's turned out to be!

Fortunately I have another computer running winxp (this one) that can assist me in migrating (upgrading) to the newer one.

So, after finding the correct driver, I tried to install it but was unable to do so because apparently I didn't administrator access. WTF? Bullshit!! I DID have admin access. After some research on the web I found that I had to enter the command prompt (cmd) mode and find the setup file etc. etc.

What, What, WHAT THE F..!!K..???... I was able to do this because I remembered a bit about finding your way around in dos. I cannot believe that after 35 years or so I had to use the command prompt or that there still IS the command prompt. To make things even worse (if they could ever be) I had to do this again but this time because of some stupid signature verification bla bla bla - and in the end it still didn't f*cking work! (btw. the wi-fi dongle worked fine with xp).

Don't mention apples iOS because that's even more insidious. Looks like I may have to turn to Linux.

I'd be interested to hear about others experiences with current computer operating systems.

I had Windows 8.1 but hated it because it has no start menu, none of the drivers that worked for Windows 7 works in Windows 8 (not sure why), and if you got older hardware such as Wifi dongle, they don't write any Windows 8 compatible drivers for it, meaning it won't work unless you buy new ones that do.

Also command prompt is necessary, because there are some things that require it. Even Mac OS has a command prompt.

My Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 and I get the problem with wi-fi card and drivers

so I go back to the previous version of the OS

DOS operating systems, those where the days when you could build a computer and load the

operating system and customize the system and have a nice working computer. :-)

Now you have Microsoft viral operating system that has never been fully de-bugged. About the

time they get all of the fixes released for a version, they release a new version with has more bugs

then the last version. What a racket...........monopoly.

My Windows 10 upgrade went great, in fact the computer is running a little better than it did on 7 and 10 is leaps and bounds better than 8. Maybe after a few more years of patches we will have an OS that is as stable and fast as XP was. ;)

I am also a fan of Linux builds. If only the software compatibility through WINE was a little better still. For now, I have to use both.

Edited by nater

Same deal. Upgraded my wife's Win7 computer. The interface is more "XP-like", and we had ZERO problems after installing just one new driver.

L

Edited by lloyd

I switched over to linux two years ago, never look back. Had to install just once new since that, one tip if you have a radeon graphics card use the radeon open source driver never use the ati driver - they are a fault produced by ati.

I would recommend you to get suse leap. You won't regret it and even won't need the command prompt if you don't want to.

I had Windows 8.1 but hated it because it has no start menu, none of the drivers that worked for Windows 7 works in Windows 8 (not sure why), and if you got older hardware such as Wifi dongle, they don't write any Windows 8 compatible drivers for it, meaning it won't work unless you buy new ones that do.

Windows 8 & 7 use the same underlaying code, so the drivers are the same. There are some security concerns here and there, but nothing that really stops you from using a driver, if you jump through a few hoops.

DOS operating systems, those where the days when you could build a computer and load the

operating system and customize the system and have a nice working computer. :-)

Now you have Microsoft viral operating system that has never been fully de-bugged. About the

time they get all of the fixes released for a version, they release a new version with has more bugs

then the last version. What a racket...........monopoly.

Don't kid your self. DOS was riddled with bugs to. If there is any reason to complain, it's the current move from a "buy a license once" model, to the "subscription type" licensing they are pushing with Windows 10. For now they haven't really started pushing it that hard, they just tell you it's going to be "like Office 365" which means a yearly subscription, for "features" of the OS. Great, thanks Microsoft. I wonder why you haven't given us the details on what these features might be yet...

Edited by MrB

They day they move fully over to a subscription for Windows OS will be the last time I use it for personal use. I will use Linux exclusively then.

I've been a Linux user since Linus Torvalds released his very first version. It's not yet supporting every application WinBlows does, but most of them, or work-alikes.

Lloyd

They day they move fully over to a subscription for Windows OS will be the last time I use it for personal use. I will use Linux exclusively then.

The current plan (It's Microsoft, they may change their mind at any moment) is to have "features" of Windows 10 be subscription based. Exactly what this means, what features, and how this will work, has yet not been published. The base OS it self will at this point most likely be free, but this to has only been hinted at.

This can be good, and bad, and until we know more, Windows 10 is just a mystery. And yet it's on a couple of computers around the world...

At least with the ever growing gaming community on Linux, Windows has less and less of a monopole situation. So if all goes to hell...

B!

Problem I had with Linux in the past was just about nothing but the most basic hardware worked. Sound, network, etc. wouldn't work and installing a driver the distribution didn't provide meant you had to find the files, recompile the whole thing, and somehow insert it into the kernel (all command prompt, no install programs or anything like that). And even then it didn't work as planned, as some hardware flat out don't like Linux at all.

By the way Max OSX is UNIX based, which is similar enough to Linux that most of the same commands work. Of course installing a new driver or program in Max OS couldn't be easier... no recompiling stuff or anything, just run the package and it works. Furthermore everything updates automatically so you don't have to worry about your stuff being out of date (not even Windows is that easy... and that's assuming their auto update don't stick a virus on you). However if you really want to do stuff with OSX that Steve Jobs don't want you to do, the terminal allows you to do that (sudo does a lot of stuff it seems), like for example extracting a OSX install package.

What stopped me from hackintosh is basically I needed to run unibeast or something like it in order to create the proper partitions on my hard drive to fool it to install without a EFI and stuff like that, and unibeast is mac only. So basically I can't do it unless I can borrow a mac, and I don't have a good enough friend who is willing to let me to that to their mac. Getting the right OSX install image is easy.

I do have access to a Mac at school, but I don't think I'll be able to do any partition based stuff on it (even if it is connected to a USB). Those are run on a RAID type setup where you login, it gives you a fresh desktop (you can install whatever you want) and as soon as you logout the entire session is wiped clean and reset.

Taiwan you are right mac os is UNIX based, but it works on the BSD branch that formed from it. Which isn't bad but has problems with different hardware setups. On the othermhand this is why mac is so strong. It only supports a couple different hardware setups, but these are supported very well. A windows will never be able to be efficient like this, cause it has to support all possible hardware setups. Also acces the hardware quite different.

I do have access to a Mac at school, but I don't think I'll be able to do any partition based stuff on it (even if it is connected to a USB). Those are run on a RAID type setup where you login, it gives you a fresh desktop (you can install whatever you want) and as soon as you logout the entire session is wiped clean and reset.

Sounds like a combination of features. OSX guest account works a lot like this by default, but i assume you have to log-on, so they can keep track of the users. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the file-system, and if there is a RAID in place or not. For a system like this i wouldn't put a RAID on it anyway, it just doesn't make sense. A single drive, is a hell of a lot easier to replace, and simply ghost in the configuration the system is to use once it's back to working order.

However, i think you might be right. I'm not able to test it, but as far as my memory serves me, guest accounts doesn't have access to partitioning and such. However, using Clover, you shouldn't need to. Just need a USB media (Harddrive or standard USB stick, will be wiped in the process, so preferably empty) and the OSX installation.

Good luck!.

B!

Fortunately I was able to retro-grade to Win7 and all is working well. It's a shame because I did quite like the look and feel of 10.

The main problem is that I have older peripheral gear, ie. firewire mini-DV camera and audio mixing equipment etc., which incidentally is around the era of Win7 anyway. So unless I upgrade all my gear (which I won't be) I'm stuck in 2009. So be it.

As far as OSX goes, I use a mac everyday for my work. The are major issues using Adobe products to the point of several crashes a day. From my research this is an Adobe issue rather than the OS itself, but considering that a lot of people who use a mac use an Adobe product...

Some fool (not me :P) decided to upgrade the OS to "Yosemite" and then the problems started. I'm a firm believer in the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". When it comes to upgrading best to have two machines, one running as is (reliable) and the other evaluating the new upgrades and ironing out the bugs until final implementation into the workflow.

Adobe has now gone to the subscription model. I don't like the idea because I used to take a copy home so I could learn some of the new features - for my own personal gain and my employers. I certainly won't be doing that now. The whole philosophy of the mac used to be that not only did it look cool, but it also worked seamlessly - that's because all the peripherals and software had to be certified.

I can almost see the time when you'll need an Apple ID just to take a..... oh hang on.... this whole rant is making me feel like going to the loo.... Oh No!!... I've forgotten my Apple ID.... plurp... poop... poopoo..... oh dear.