APC Forum

NYE Tests!

Maxim

That's a nice color, and that glitter looked nice.

You can get the same color by adding sodium bicarbonate to a potassium nitrate formula. The advantage is that sodium bicarbonate is a little hygroscopic, but not deliquescent, as is sodium nitrate. Stars made with the latter just will NOT keep -- pretty much period.

If you want stars that will keep well, you need to consider a different sodium source.

Lloyd

I think it is pretty nice already, And yes, i added the bicarbonate, i just changed KNO3 to NaNO3, It looks a lot nicer ( to me ) and NaNO3 is cheeper! I think they will survive until NYE, it's only 7 days away! :D

Maxim... those stars are impressive! And I like the bright yellow tint they have. I roll D-1 and N-1, and they are not as yellow. Good job! Take video of your NYE fireworks!

A 0,8" star mine is nothing like a 3" shell, i don't see anything scary in publishing a tiny 0.8" starmine.

PS: Nil, why did you put a dislike on the video?

Edited by Maxim

A 0,8" star mine is nothing like a 3" shell, i don't see anything scary in publishing a tiny 0.8" starmine.

Just for reference. In the eyes of the law, what you are making is an IED, and the size of it only makes a difference if you actually deploy it where people get hurt. When it comes to making explosives, storing, handling, and all the other terrorist activities they might want to charge you with, the size of the device actually doesn't matter. At all. If you get lucky during your hearing a court might be willing to let you of slightly easier if the device is benign, but a 12" shell is no more a weapon of mass destruction, then a 0.8" starmine, so they would be as willing in both cases. Which is why i walked away with a "shame on you" and a slap on the wrist after being convicted of blowing a cop up (he's fine by the way) with a home-made primary explosive. I made, and stored it with the intent of creating "firecrackers", and he was the bomb-tech responding to the call when the cops wanted it "rendered safe". In the process of doing so, he made a series of stupid mistakes, escalating the situation to where it went of, and he confessed to fumbling it all, at my hearing. On the other hand, if my intent had been to blow up the local police station, then i'd probably still be in jail.

What i mean to say is, you really need to take a step back, and think this through. If your willing to take the consequences of the cops busting you for making a 0.8" starmine, then you are just as fine getting busted for something a lot larger, and if your not ok with getting busted that same way, for your own sake, don't post the 0.8" starmines either.

Which would be sad, videos be nice.

B!

Sadly I don't have a video to share of this, but I thought I'd at least give an account of it anyway.

I made a device that was similar to a ground bloom flower, but larger. It consisted of a 1x2.5" tube plugged at one end and with a fuse hole/nozzle drilled off-center just above the clay plug. The nozzle was as off-center as possible while still going into the tube and not just the wall. I filled the tube with a fuel consisting of 60% KNO3, 40% xylitol, and +1% Fe2O3.

I expected this to spin on the ground like a ground bloom flower. I put it on a flat surface and lit it. It started spinning on the ground, just like I expected, but then started lifting off! It flew about 10m up, just like one of those little "speed balls" or "darts", before coming back down.

I'd be interesting in hearing an explanation of how this type of device can fly without a downward nozzle like a stinger.

Heh! Blue, it has to do with thrust vectors and gyroscopic precession.

It just happens that, with enough thrust and a slightly off-angle exhaust hole, a tube will spin until it becomes 'gyroscopic' in nature, then precess as it spins until the hole is pointing predominantly down... not perfectly always, and sometimes not enough.

But when it is enough, and the thrust is greater than the weight of the tube, it lifts!

I've made many so-called "speedballs", and when I demonstrated them at one Florida Fall Fireworks Festival, several other people started making them impromptu... one almost 1-1/2" i.d. by 8" long; and it FLEW! <G>

I had nothing to do with the making of those others -- so there were no 'tricks' involved. Once they saw how they were (very simply) made, they started coming out of the woodwork left and right.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

Wow, very interesting! Thanks for the explanation. I still feel like there's a little bit of "magic" involved. ;)

They are very simple to make, especially with a castable fuel like KNXY. I just made 4 similar but smaller ones, and I'll have to do more in the future. They're now on my list of favorites.