APC Forum

Hotmelt glue+Powder=?

WannabePyro

Hello there!

I'm pretty new in the pyrotechnics.

Can hot melt glue ignite powder? I'm going to make firecrackers and want to be sure that i won't loose my fingers..

Thank you in advance for helping!

http://www.adtech-craft.com/shop_content/prod_img/full/bad767f6b44d6929805bd55a08c957c1/fd8ee179df6cbb29e754c4f1dcc37210/STICKS1.jpg

• Like 1

The glue, no it is not hot enough. The glue gun however is known to fail and spew sparks which would cause a big problem.

The glue, no it is not hot enough. The glue gun however is known to fail and spew sparks which would cause a big problem.

Thank you! Do you have any cheap alternatives to glue?

You're better off buying tubes and paper plugs. The best method (unless you want to use flat end caps) is to poke a hole through one of the end caps and feed your fuse through it. Then put a small dab of hot glue around the fuse to seal the hole. Then you can put a ring of glue around the end cap and plug the end of the tube.

There are a lot more things to be worrying about making firecrackers and nobody is going to advise you to make flash powder firecrackers. What powder explosive will you be using?

The fact that you're worried about losing your fingers has me less worried. If you want to make good firecrackers I can point you in the right direction on how to make black powder and make them.

When i am making a wad with a fuse through it, I use PVA thick glue to seel the fuse. It's safer and a lot stronger them hotglue! However, if you use hotglue, plug it in away from your pyro, than plug it out when it's heated and use it!

Being new to pyrotechnics, most people would recommend starting with something other than firecrackers. I am not fond of them and do not make them. In fact, I really only make rockets, shells and fountains.

Hot glue is a cheap and quick way, but not the best. Like I said, the glue guns are prone to failing and sparking. Additionally, thick hot glue plugs are not destroyed when the item ignites. They can be a projectile and cause damage or injury to anyone or anything nearby.

I prefer to use little except for different types of paper, hemp twine, wheat paste and plain white or hide glue. It takes more time, but as a hobby I find the process enjoyable. There are plenty of threads about rolling tubes, making discs and rolling shell or insert casings here.

I have had problems with hot glue and fuses. For me, about 50% of the time, the fuse will quit burning when it reaches the glue. I avoid this by coating the fuse with NC lacquer at the glue point. Another tip is use a low temp gun and glue. Be sure and keep your glue gun away from your work area and it is best to heat it up and unplug it during use to avoid the cheap glue gun short catastrophes.

Can hot melt glue ignite powder?

The long answer: No. There might be some compositions that will ignite by such low temperatures. If you stumble upon those, I'm sure you will be told about this.

However, the glue gun itself pose a risk:

Glue guns are, obviously, electrical and thus there is a risk of accidental sparks. Plus, glue guns are notoriously known to die with sparks and flames - some day.

The short answer:

You can use glue guns, but make sure to unplug it before each use and keep it away from your workplace when it's plugged in.

Just be aware that if you are caught with them you will be charged with a felony and will never vote or be allowed to own firearms. You will also likely have your house searched and have to pay the bill if they find anything to have it removed along with a hazmat crew to poke around for anything hazardous. The media will also likely label you as a bomb maker or worse, a terrorist.

Just something to consider.

Edited by FloridaCracker

Just be aware that if you are caught with them you will be charged with a felony and will never vote or be allowed to own firearms. You will also likely have your house searched and have to pay the bill if they find anything to have it removed along with a hazmat crew to poke around for anything hazardous. The media will also likely label you as a bomb maker or worse, a terrorist.

Seems like you've got some quite harsh laws in the US when talking about firecrackers and etc..

With the events going on around the world most places are on high alert for terrorist activity. And in our post 9/11 world anyone found having explosive material that can't prove their good intentions is going to be in a world of hurt. But even before that, illegal oversized crackers have carried a stiff penalty here because of their power and the accidents they have caused.

It's not just the US and a lot of places carry stiff penalties for even aerial shells which are obviously made for their beauty. Check out the random discussion forum to read about what just happened to a hobbyist making fireworks in Russia where they were caught by posting videos of their beautiful work where it was obvious to the police they were just making colorful fireworks.

There are a few places where large firecrackers are legal. Or where you are more worried about a mortar, RPG, or AK47 fire to bat an eye at a firecracker. If you live in one of those places then you are either lucky or very unfortunate. But you still need to weigh the safety risks even if you aren't worried about the legal ones.

I'm glad you are worried about your safety and asking safety questions and aren't in the "it can't/won't happen to me" camp. Be safe, read as much info that you can on pyro safety, and keep asking questions if you aren't sure. I wasn't trying to get you to not make anything, but a lot of people don't realize the legal risks of a simple "firecracker".

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

The best and the most powerful way for plug is the method with sodium bicarbonate (bakin soda) with super glue! When the glue hit the soda it became a hard rock hallelujah !!!! BUT BE CAREFUL because bakin soda and super glue have an exothermic reaction and generate heat and second the fumes of this thing is toxic... i make my plugs like this way but i first make the first plug witch is safe because isn't any staff in the tube and the second i put a thick paper craft gap paper and then the soda and glue to prevent any ignition . you let it to cold about 10 minutes and it's done! You have a very powerful firecraker! BUT!!!!!!!! One more thing, make the hole for the fuse at the center and not from one of a plugs because you destroy the structure of your tube ! Trust me guys with this way i make a firecraker with only bp to hear like flash p! Thumps up to everyone :D !!!!!

I'm not sure who you are, but this is not true. If you obey all applicable federal (orange book), state, and local laws, there is no reason you can not make and shoot firecrackers legally. I do not recommend firecrackers as a place to start in pyro, and you will get in serious trouble if you illegally sell pyrotechnic devices (not just firecrackers!).