APC Forum

ball mill, star roler..2 in 1 :D

zan89

Hi!

Finaly my ball mill and star roler slowly goes to the end.

I wish to have all in one, because of space problem and it is only one motor needed.

The motor end electronic reductor cost me 200eur, star roler pan cost me another 200 eur. How much Will cost me puting all together i dont know yet. I just design it, i left the work to profesional.

Everything is from Alu.

It is missing some stuf more, like rubber on rolers, system for seting angle of star roler and safety cover for motor and reductor.

I can set RPM from 0 to 200 and i can put non motorized roler left or right, for smaller or biger jar.

When i use ball mil i can put down the roler pan.

Sorry for big photos :/

gallery_19692_317_514837.jpg

gallery_19692_317_1279684.jpg

gallery_19692_317_802711.jpg

Edited by zan89

That's a nice looking roller. Hopefully everyone works welll and you can be making some great pyro in the future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can actually attach a disk to the back of the rolling drum which is the same diameter as the drums midpoint, then spin it right on the rollers. That way it is easy to remove and clean and you can run large loads without worrying about the stress on the attachment point. You are probably going to need the extra speed reduction anyway, because I think I have that same VFD/motor combo you have there and it can not handle large star loads at the speed reduction ratio you currently are using. It takes a mechanical reduction close to 1:40 to really get decent torque at the RPMs you want.

Edited by Pyronaught
  • Like 1

Looks very nice! How much would it take for you to build another for me? :D :P haha

Pyronaught also has a good point, for future references.

The joint where the drum is attached to the roller, is one of the weakest point of the construction. It has a maximum-load of something kilos before it will snap. Propably a couple of hundred kilos, but I wouldn't know :)

Bottom line is, you should know what this value is - and make sure to never fill the drum more than 80% of that.

zan89, on 27 Dec 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:zan89, on 27 Dec 2015 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'll see, but as we try with load it was spining well.

Try putting 15lbs of sand in the drum and running it at 40 RPM. The thing with that VFD controller is that the more you slow it down, the less torque you get. So if the full speed of the motor is 1800 RPM and your pulley reduction is something like 1:6, that is still 300 RPM that must be brought down to at least 40 RPM by the VFD, even less for some applications. I would really be surprised if it could turn more than a few pounds of sand at 40 RPM. You want to mechanically reduce the speed to as close as your max operating RPM as you can in order to reduce the speed reduction that the VFD controller has to do, that way you get maximum available torque. If this turns out to be a problem, at least you can run the drum on top of the rollers to solve it. I made a multi-purpose roller like this and that's how I did it. I didn't use a speed controller, I just had to change pulley sizes to get the RPMs for each of the three applications the machine does (ball milling, star rolling and BP corning).

Edited by Pyronaught

• 3 weeks later...

that coating pan looks like a pharmaceutical sugar coating pan,

used to sugar coat tablets.

they are / were usually made out of copper