APC Forum

Maltese Shells

wizard7611

Question 1:

How exactly do these inserts not ignite instantly? They are primed on the sides using granulated black powder or mill dust. How is there possibly a delay between the time the shell breaks and the time the inserts reach their perfect trajectory?

Picture:

http://i.imgur.com/3DybKgds.jpg

(A picture used from Psyco_1322's gallery. Nice inserts mate!)

Most of the time, I see these tubes punctured and then blackmatch is strung through the hole. Seriously though, how is there possibly a delay? Wouldn't the inserts go off instantly?

Question 2:

How do you spike such shells?

Picture:

http://i.imgur.com/w8uZV2gs.jpg

Wizard, in maltese Beraqs is no black match inserted, if you do so, you get the turkish style.

In maltese beraqs the hole gets punched and filled with a thick bp slurry. It often uses big gum arabic as a binder and slowing down agent. After aplication of the slury, the casing is pushed into 2-4FA on the outside to prime it. The delay time is defined by the wall thickness of the tube, since it takes some time for the bp to burn throught. Critical step here is that no gaps exist inside the channel.

To extend the burn time, either use a thicker casing or paste little punched squares over the hole to increase the wall thickness on this spot.

The sameme is done for turkish beraqs, but here the delay is traditionally acieved by building up comp on the outside switching between one layers of delay comp and paper. Thus the comp spot has to be at least as wide as it is thick.

• Like 1

Wizard, in maltese Beraqs is no black match inserted, if you do so, you get the turkish style.

From my first picture, blackmatch was inserted. Anyway, thank you for the reply! How do I spike large cylinder shells when it comes to joining breaks together?

Edited by wizard7611

For anyone wanting higher resolution photos of the beraq, I suggest visiting the gallery they're hosted in. http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/gallery/album/12-psycos-random-pics/

I have a message into Psyco as to if he used blackmatch in those inserts, but haven't heard back. What you might be seeing is the "worm" inside the casing. When you press the slurry into the casing, it pushes through like that.

There are a lot of factors that go into the timing. Besides varying the casing thickness, you can also vary the composition and the diameter of the punched hole. I've been told that the true masters can manipulate all three to achieve 10 or more distinct timings. More gum arabic or inclusion of other delay agents will slow down the base composition.

I'd worry about being able to make black powder before how to spike these large shells. If you get too ahead of yourself, it'll slow you down in the long run. If you're really intrigued, I'd suggest checking out passfire. They have a good tutorial on maltese shells.

For anyone wanting higher resolution photos of the beraq, I suggest visiting the gallery they're hosted in. http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/gallery/album/12-psycos-random-pics/

I have a message into Psyco as to if he used blackmatch in those inserts, but haven't heard back. What you might be seeing is the "worm" inside the casing. When you press the slurry into the casing, it pushes through like that.

There are a lot of factors that go into the timing. Besides varying the casing thickness, you can also vary the composition and the diameter of the punched hole. I've been told that the true masters can manipulate all three to achieve 10 or more distinct timings. More gum arabic or inclusion of other delay agents will slow down the base composition.

I'd worry about being able to make black powder before how to spike these large shells. If you get too ahead of yourself, it'll slow you down in the long run. If you're really intrigued, I'd suggest checking out passfire. They have a good tutorial on maltese shells.

Mumbles, I already know how to make great black powder. I am curious by asking these questions. I have been looking at firework factory videos, shell construction pictures, and several others pyrotechnic videos for around two years now. There is nothing wrong about asking these questions, is there?

You don't have to get so defensive all the time. Part of acting like an adult involves taking criticism and being able to brush off stuff. I gave you all the information you needed, just with a suggestion to learn the basics first. Maybe I should have said to learn how to build a shell. A real shell ,

All we have to go on is your posts. 6 months ago, you were using 10-20% dextrin in your black powder. 2 weeks ago, you were working on how to make charcoal, and trying to figure out how to make stars. You've certainly improved your skills in that time period, but these facts don't exactly lead one to believe you have a mastery of black powder or shell building. Questions are good, but better questions will get better answers.

By the way, if you don't mind some advice, most people find text resources to be more instructive and detailed, and a good compliment to the pictures and videos you've found so far.

Question 2:

How do you spike such shells?

Picture:

http://i.imgur.com/w8uZV2gs.jpg

With great difficulty.

Also your question about blackmatch going through a hole directly to inserts:

My theory is that if they're in a shell in the air it doesn't matter if they ignite a second too early. Not like a report you would have on the ground where you light the fuse and run away.

Edited by OblivionFall
  • Like 1

Not like a report you would have on the ground where you light the fuse and run away.

True story bro.

• Like 1

You don't have to get so defensive all the time. Part of acting like an adult involves taking criticism and being able to brush off stuff. I gave you all the information you needed, just with a suggestion to learn the basics first. Maybe I should have said to learn how to build a shell. A real shell ,

That is who I am. I just hate to be told offensive things. I don't let them pass by, I defend myself. Oh yes, might I remind you that I am not of the age you would consider an adult. I may be young, but I truly believe a person could achieve great art no matter how old they are(disregarding infants though, for the fact that I could see someone correcting me, lol). I don't care how old I am. I personally care about my knowledge on my hobby, no matter how far it goes. Look at the Italian tradition of pyrotechnics. They hand fireworks down to their children or teenagers for them to learn the ways. My father never taught me the ways, so I took it upon myself. At the age of five, I started my research on the subject. What happened six months ago was a mistake of many. I used very thin cotton string as well as a bad formula for black powder(well, with Dextrin added). All of my information is stored by my memory. I really don't need to use a piece of reference material such as a book or a website. The only book I have ever viewed about pyrotechnics was "Fireworks, The Art, Science, And Technique" by Takeo Shimizu. This book has been used for the study of Japanese shells. The only instructional website I have really viewed was Cannonfuse.com. They also have a great database of formulas. This is my life. You're not ageist, are you?

Edited by wizard7611

When I was in high school I got mostly straight As without any effort. I listened in class, but never really studied. I usually did homework in other class periods, right before it was due, or never finished it if I got bored with it. I never took notes either.

These habits got me by through high school, even earned me an honors diploma and some college credits before I was 18. They did not help me in the long run. To be successful in the sciences, you would be wise to learn how to take good notes and maintain appropriate references when you need them.

My profession has forced me to learn better habits. Yes, I need to recall information out of my head very quickly, but I also need to document everything and be able to effectively use my references as well.

Even you have an idyllic memory, you are selling yourself short by not using different texts and websites that are available and relying on your memory for everything else. Now is the time to develop better habits.

• Like 1

Even you have an idyllic memory, you are selling yourself short by not using different texts and websites that are available and relying on your memory for everything else. Now is the time to develop better habits.

Well, okay. Allow me to rephrase myself. I do in fact take some notes here and there so that way whenever I return to it, I can read the note and know what I'm supposed to do(example: Writing down how many ounces of lift I need to use per gram). However, when it comes to making a familiar composition(examples: Black powder or star formulas) for such an interesting hobby, that is something I would easily remember off the top of my head. School is not fun, it is boring, which is why I do not study it. We should probably get back to the topic, since I have taken this out of context by mistake. So, I'm curious. How are massive cylinder shells spiked properly?

Edited by wizard7611

They are spiked carefully using brute strength and sometimes a press. There are different construction techniques out there. Some build and spike each break on top of the next break (typically the Italian-American style) while others finish each break and then spike the entire shell together. (Maltese often do this)

Passfire.com is the only widely available source for Maltese shell construction. Out of respect for Kyle, I will not divulge the information he has published with the Maltese contacts he has through FPAG.

Bangkokpyro has excellent videos posted here.

The bible for Italian-American style cylinder shells is "Traditional Cylinder Shell Construction" published in Pyrotechnica magazine. The best source right now is through Ned at fireworking.com

To answer your question, you spike these big shells with string and a rolling chair. String and a shell press also works. There isn't a whole lot different for big shells vs. smaller shells except the effort it takes. Like I said before, all the information (including pictures) is on passfire. The biggest shells tend to get spiked via the rinfasciature method for a little more flex.

This will be the last thing I say about this. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you're not special. You're not a unique snowflake. Get over it. I'm 28, have been running this website since 2002, and been into pyro since around 1999/2000. You can do the math. Age is not a factor for me, but acting with maturity will get you a long way. I, and I'm sure many others here, had a similar school experience to you. I rarely studied, often blew off homework and assignments, never did any assigned reading and still graduated in the top of my class, got a full ride to college, and am about to get a PhD (neither were slouch places either). I'm not that far removed from where you're at in life. Trust me when I say that relying on innate knowledge and skill will only get you so far. I promise you that it may seem that I or others are trying to be tough on you, but I promise it's for a good reason and it will pay off. You're not a lost cause, and we genuinely want you to succeed.

Let me also rephrase. There is only so much information that can be conveyed via images and videos. Text is a superior learning resource. Accept it or not, it's a fact. It's not always about having something to refer back to. It's about having more detailed instructions, and access to more advanced techniques. If you don't have a master pyrotechnician around to show you the ropes in person, the next best thing is to have a master pyrotechnician write it down. A large majority of "instructional" videos on you tube are shit, are made for the lowest common denominator, and are created by people I wouldn't let tour my workshop. There is some good stuff out there, but you have to learn how to identify the good from the bad. You seem to have a mental block on this. School was never interesting for me because it never challenged me. You're the only one grading your pyro work. Challenge and push yourself. If someone has to hold your hand the whole time, are you really challenging yourself?

• Like 1

One of the important things to learn is that NO constructor gives the full story. With special products lots of the result is down to the way the actual builder works.

The picture of the empty inserts are indeed fused with a beraq style delay paste. What you see is not black match, but rather the "worm" of delay comp that result from pushing it through a hole in the casing. It does give a delay, but it's very short compared to using time fuse. The short delays are just characteristic of beraq effects.

This is the shell that contained those inserts, in the second break, they are the cluster of Ti reports before the timed reports.

This is the most recent and elaborate of my work on beraq inserts, which are far different in construction and size that those in that picture.

• Like 2

**Regarding "My theory is that if they're in a shell in the air it doesn't matter if they ignite a second too early. Not like a report you would have on the ground where you light the fuse and run away."

True story bro.

Horrible story. That would totally ruin a shell designed to have clean timings. It would, in fact, piss me off if I had a random report go off even a half second outside of the timing. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and kills the effect.

There is a quote that is often said by Mike Swisher that goes "Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle." That statement has great meaning and is the basis of all of the finest fireworks you see. I suggest to anyone to keep it in mind, it applies to more than just pyro, but will certainly guild you to improving your work.

Wizard, as others have suggested, go join Passfire and Fireworking. There are complete write up's with great knowledge on those sites. You will certainly have many many questions answered after just looking over them. I'll second the Fulcanelli articles, Traditional Cylinder Shell Construction, it's the guild to building multibreaks the correct way, it's very useful literature. Your current resources are of the lower quality kind and won't get you far. Many of those comps in the archive that Cannonfuse has are not what you would consider reliable. I can personally attest to that, have tried lots of them, there are plenty that will not work and just be a straight waste of time and materials. I came up rather slow in this hobby, due to a lack of the help and guidance of experienced pyros. With that said I have experience with quite a bit more than most people, mostly through trial and error. That's a slow and gruesome way to learn things, and reinventing the wheel is never a practical method.

Oh....one more thing! At the age of 5, you father wasn't teaching you how to make fireworks because he was probably still teaching you the alphabet. Let's be practical here, that's kindergarten...

Oh....one more thing! At the age of 5, you father wasn't teaching you how to make fireworks because he was probably still teaching you the alphabet. Let's be practical here, that's kindergarten...

No, he never taught me the alphabet. Once I reached the age of nine, I understood how to create a simple firework. To be honest. I'm actually going to leave these forums forever. All I really receive is criticism from Mumbles. Screw this hobby, I doing something else with my life.

• Like 1

Seriously though Mumbles, listen to yourself. Just about all of the posts I have received from you criticize me in a way. Why are you an admin when you drive people away from the hobby?

You can leave, no one will complain. You can't seem to take advise or constructive criticism so why should we waste our breath? If you drop the hobby cause of one guy who is actually trying to help, you didn't really care about making fireworks in the first place. Bye now.

You can leave, no one will complain. You can't seem to take advise or constructive criticism so why should we waste our breath? If you drop the hobby cause of one guy who is actually trying to help, you didn't really care about making fireworks in the first place. Bye now.

What the hell? Why would you stand up for a guy that is obviously criticizing many new people here? This is my last post. I have absolutely had enough of the hate comments here. So what if I defend myself against rude people! I do not put down a fight, but this one is not worth fighting since no one here has no respect for new members! You're not granting me advice, you're complaining about the fact that I ask such a question! Like I have stated before, I run off of my memory. That being said, that doesn't mean I'm going to build a 24" shell right now and remember exactly everything that goes into it(I could, but you criticize me over the roof). You may also believe I cannot build a nice looking ball shell, but you're all based off of assumptions. Say what you want right now, but your comments are not going anywhere, due to the fact that I have stated the reason why. Do I care if people hate me? No, because this is the internet, and not reality. I do care about making fireworks, but when it leads to this shit, I drastically change my mind. I make myself to believe no one in this hobby is respectful now. Oh, yes, to add to my comment, I shall tell you that a college degree does not guarantee succession in life. I may not care about school, but what is outside of it matters to me the most. There is a massive difference between education and school. Once I create my great work, not one person will ever be allowed to know the aspects put into it. No more questions will be answered. I will go commit suicide in my dreams now, allowing my body to fall into the depths of the mercury ponds. My mouth barely grasping for air as I sink to the darkness, never to be seen again. As a shadow wizard, I will remain.

Edited by wizard7611
  • Like 1

Focus on your poetry, it's much better than your pyro skills. If you would really like to prove yourself, come to your local club shoot, I want to see these shells that are so much better than mine. Trying to bash people on Youtube is not very mature, kind of makes me think your only 12, probably are.

• Like 1

Wizard ine thing you got wrong, is that a xollege grade doesn't guarante succes in life, but it gives you a lot of different options to chose from and go your own way, compared to lower grades.

• 2 years later...
Criticism is a way of learning the mistakes you have been criticized about, and thus you know to fix those mistakes, helping you. Learning is what people do on this forum.

Criticism is a way of learning the mistakes you have been criticized about, and thus you know to fix those mistakes, helping you. Learning is what people do on this forum.

Dude, old thread, cant raise the dead....