APC Forum

a stupid question ?

dave321

if one buys a 1" comet tool, presumably the comet is 1" in diameter,

or is it just less than 1" so it can be fired as a single shot from a 1" diameter mortar ?

Depends on who you buy from. I have a 1inch firesmith multi-pump comet tool. It will fire from a 1inch tube ( but this depends on the tolerance of your tubes as the fit is tight, for example in a batch of cheap cardboard cores of ebay some comets will fit, some won't and don't forget about the prime layer if you're not just priming the ends !!!!! Also, if I'm pasting these such as in crossettes or to modify the burn then I have to use a 27mm Id mortar to fire from. In this case I roll my own cardboard mortars at 27mm ID. Guys like Tadej ( who I can't recommend highly enough in the EU ) - will make it to spec for you.

• Like 1

Dave tadej = zmuro here on apc. Highly recommended. If you want to fire you 1" stars from a normal EU 25mm cake tube, get a 24 mm tool. So it will fit good. If you want to use a crossete or other pasted in star use 23 mm

All my stuff is within a few thousandths of the listed number. you need to take in consideration what type of star it is and or crossette.. some get no wrap , some get three turns. Are you lighting from the bottom? do you need room for a top fuse? all these things need considered. :)

https://squareup.com/market/WoodysCreations

ok, no std stuff then

for my use it would be just under 1" diameter tooling then

thanks people

No, not really. Most of the tooling makers use the stock size most available to them to make simple tooling like comet pumps. In the USA, Caleb may buy 1", 6061-T6 off the shelf. If the manufacturer did their job right, you should have about 0.001" to play with so it can be polished without dropping out of tolerance.

Picking on Caleb again, if he decides to run a smoothing pass of say, 0.002" then polish the rammer, he may end up 0.003" under the 1" stock size. Now, if Caleb bores out a stock DOM pipe to use as the sleeve for his pump, he may look to give a gap of 0.005" to leave enough room for the tiny particles to move freely in but keep the large particles out of the gap. It may be less work to just sand the bore a little and take the rod down the 0.005" he needs for a good fit.

In Europe, the same may be true with 24mm stock and DOM pipe. In any case, send an email and see what the manufacturer is using for tolerances.