APC Forum

Red nitrate strobe, how to improve it further?

pyrodoc

Hi,

Thus is my first attempt at strobe. This formula is by Ned gorski. Except, that I used 80 mesh and 200 mesh magnalium.

Looks pinkish. How can I improve the colour. I have 325 mesh magnalium also.

Formula

Strontium nitrate :51

Sulphur :19

Parlon :16

MagAl 80mesh:6

MagAl 200mesh:6

KNO3 :7

Have you tried viewing it from a long distance? Will probably look a little more red from a couple hundred feet away.

How is it bound? Use acetone to activate the parlon?

Ned sure does get credit for a lot of other people's work fairly often.

http://blog.skylighter.com/fireworks/2013/01/nitrate-based-strobes.html

Anyway, the color has always been the biggest issue. AP based strobes tend to give the best colors, and the most consistent strobe frequency. To the best of my knowledge, you need MgAl for these to work with nitrate base strobes. Mg just gives a normal burning star.

I don't have such a great understanding of the workings of nitrate strobes. My brief experiments a few years ago basically demonstrated that the quality of the strobe could be exchanged for color purity - A poor color with good strobe frequency and definition, or a poor strobe with good color. All I did was vary the amount of parlon in the comp.

It's worthwhile to note that, even though these aren't the best strobes, they can still be used. Ned Gorski has a video on youtube of some red and green nitrate strobes, and the colors are plainly evident. If you mix with other colors for perspective, it can improve the apparent color purity of the stars being used.

Ned sure does get credit for a lot of other people's work fairly often.

Mum, I think this is due in part to the fact he is so closely associated with Skylighter. Many pyros start their journey and gathering of knowledge on that site. Even though he gives credit, readers likely will not remember a person cited (especially if they are new and unfamiliar with the common names associated in the art), but will remember that Ned writes all the articles.

I have magnesium 60mesh at hand, can't the MagAl be replaced by magnesium?

We don't have chlorate and perchlorate available here.

Of course not.

Magnesium is so reactive that the star won't strobe.

I believe the mechanism of nitrate strobes is based on the fact that sulfur smoulders with nitrate.Then sulfur oxidizes the magnalium gently and heats the stuff up. Once reach the ignition point of nitrate-magnalium -sulfur flash powder,flash phase starts.

The mgal mesh size controls strobe rate,but I think the amount of sulfur is another factor.More sulfur makes a slower strobe.

Then back to your question. Magnesium BURNS with sulfur.You won't get smoulder phase,so the stars will burn like normal stars.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Would baking soda delay the strobe in this formula?

Baking soda won't do what you want, unless you want a yellow strobe. Coarser MgAl should slow it down and finer should speed it up.

I wanna say i put coaser in it last time but cant remember. I think i will try another batch soon. Nope i used 60 mesh

Edited by dynomike1

A lot of strobes need a mix of both fine mesh and the coarse mesh to operate properly. Using all the same mesh doesn't seem to make a great strobe unless it was poorly classified or ballmilled for a short time.
  • Like 1

I might try that.

A lot of strobes need a mix of both fine mesh and the coarse mesh to operate properly. Using all the same mesh doesn't seem to make a great strobe unless it was poorly classified or ballmilled for a short time.

i get a more consistent action out of my d.e. stars this way. slight alterations in the ratio of finer vs more coarse mgal gives me precise control over their timing.

Parlon, pvc accelerate the frequency because they act as fuel. But without them the color does not get so deep. I have not tested it yet but maybe Gilsonite deepens the color and it's not that combustible.No metal strobe I used the finner chemical possible and not acelerated the frequency