APC Forum

Big breaks of medium-large shells (6"-8"). Booster or heavy paste?

nt8

I wouldn't like if this topic drown in quarrel!

I use light paste and flash booster in very small and little caliber, in my opinion, successfully.

But with the larger caliber, i didn't have fortune: i used too little quantity of flash or too large...

Maybe don't must use flash booster these calibers... but i haven't WASP and never will have!

For me don't easy paste many-many layer, so that the ball stay ball, not large, deformed potato!

Maybe, because i don't know the right method...

Therefore, I would like to get some advice,from both side (booster & paste).

Who use booster in 6-8":

- which booster?

- how large quantity?

- how many pasted layer use?

Who use heavy pasted (& use BP for break):

- which pasting method use?

- what kind of pasting paper? gummed tape, kraft papers, etc...

- how many pasted layer use?

Thank you to everyone who answer!!!

Sorry for my bad english!

• Like 1

You shouldn't need booster in 6" - 8" shells. If fact you can use less powder and more rice hulls/Krisped rice cereal. However you must get the pasting done well. The pasting controls the finished diameter of the shell, which controls how well it lifts in the tube.

I use 8 to 12 grams Spanish booster in a 6. Some people us as much as 24grams.

The booster isn't really doing the work of breaking the shell. It's lighting everything instantaneously. Creating more gas which in turn. Breaks the shell harder.

• Like 1

I have used 7/3, 6/4, apertura or whistle in 6" somewhere around 12 grams, 8 layers 70 grams/m kraft / wheatpaste

8" 25 / 30 grams of apertura booster and somewhere between 10 / 14 layers

3 strip method

I don't care about fitting a mortar, just use an % extra lift

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Caleb and burningRNX, you confirm my idea, that i must to switch about 7/3 (2/1, that i use) flash to Spanish apertura over 5".

The 7/3 maybe is to hard to limit exactly the booster quantity.

"I don't care about fitting a mortar, just use an % extra lift"

I agree with you, I have used alder buckthorn charcoal BP 6-8%, this is sometimes too good for lifting. If the shell smaller, i use 10%.

Heavy paste:

FireBirdHank wrote here: http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/11027-8-shells-on-the-4th/

"All were burst with only MCRH (4:1) 20 applications of 1" gummed tape should be 28-30ish layers of paper. (My own special way of layering...)"

He have used just MCRH&heavy paste (28-30 layers) and break big.

In 6" I've used 8:1 ration ricehuls no boost works very well! I paste as many layers as I can. As long as it fits the gun. It's it's a little tight ok. You must figure out what works for you then perfect it!!

Ultimately it's your design! How high, how big a break, how hard the break. If it works and looks right then it is right. Commercially there are different considerations especially the classification of the device and the NEQ -(less powder, more paper ).

Hello,

i´ am also using more apertura (spanisch booster) in my shells and less pasting here an example, 8"shell, 3 strip method, 8layers, 45gr of booster, effect Brocade 20% FETI to blue to red with green pistil, BP on cork 4/1. Here a video:

look exactly at 9:51h

After my shell is an 8" Igual Kamuro to violett to see the difference

Thanks

Andy

Wow! nice work! were those 8 layers of 3 strip for a total of 16 layers or just 8?, (4 times around with 3 strip)

For layers pasted and booster used, I use: 5 layers on a 3", 6 layers on a 4", 8 layers on a 5", 10 layers on a 6", and 14 layers on an 8". For booster I use spanish booster (35/35/30), 3 grams for 3", 4 grams for 4", 6 grams for 5", 10g for 6" and 20g for an 8". Here is a 5" shell built in this manner (it's the shell you see when the video starts at about 19:07, Lime to Red). Many of the other shells I built in this video were built a little differently, this was my first display and I was experimenting quite a bit.

https://youtu.be/uIq2E8r07hk?t=19m7s

• 4 weeks later...

The Spanish firework guys I met called their booster powder ES. It contained bright Al. and was quite messy. I can't remember what the exact formula was but I modified it and substituted 10890 AL for Bright Al. (KNO3-5, KCLO4-2, 10890-4) I have used this in both ball shells and cylinders. It is a little slower than some of the firework helpers I have seen but it is very consistent. It has no Sulfur so it is compatible with just about any rice hull burst formulation and Black powder. Rice hull formula was from Shimizu. (KCLO4-4, KNO3-3, AF Charcoal-2.5, Dex-.5) Six to one ratio on rice hulls. One tablespoon for a six inch ball shell. 12-14 layers 50-lb Kraft. 6" Cylinder shell used 4 teaspoons of Firework helper in a 1-1/2" core of 2FA. Pasted with 4-6 layers of 50 # Kraft.

Whistle powder works for some people but I could never get it to work consistently.