APC Forum

Right Aluminium Powder For Making Flash Powder?

PyroUK

Hello, ive recently purchased some eckart 5143 Super H Dark aluminium powder from ebay, im trying to make flash powder for a shell booster but the composition only does the glitter effect when i try it out, im mixing it in different ratios with kclo3 (5:5) (7:3) (6:4) but it wont make a thump sound like normal flash powder should, it just burns like glitter mixture, any suggestions?

Try with KClO4, in 7:3 ratio.
If that doesn't go thump, then you propably got some bad aluminum.

I haven't "played" alot with flash, but I had good results with both flitter, atomized and black aluminum.

Edited by Ubehage

Go to Pyeotecnics and read this.

Rate Topic star_off.png star_off.png star_off.png star_off.png star_off.png Performance of different aluminium powders in flash

Try with KClO4, in 7:3 ratio.

If that doesn't go thump, then you propably got some bad aluminum.

I haven't "played" alot with flash, but I had good results with both flitter, atomized and black aluminum.

i cant get hold of kclo4 any more, i can only use kno3 or kclo3

Go to Pyeotecnics and read this.

Rate Topic star_off.png star_off.png star_off.png star_off.png star_off.png Performance of different aluminium powders in flash

it wont let me view that post

I use the same aluminum and I also use chlorate (use perchlorate if you can cause chlorate makes the flash much more sensitive).

Make sure your chlorate is extremely fine,I personally grind it in a mortar and pestle for at least 5 mins. Then pour 7 parts chlorate and 3 parts aluminum (both by weight) onto a sheet of paper. Using the diaper method mix them together and pass through a mesh screen a couple of time to remove clumps of powder.

DONT MAKE MORE THAN 10 GRAMS AT A TIME ESPECIALL BECUASE YOU ARE USING CHLORATE

If the mixture with KClO3 was slow, and your KClO3 is of sufficient quality, it means that the aluminum is not the right variety. I think it's best to purchase supplies from dedicated pyro vendors, as they have more accountability if the product doesn't match its description.

Your aluminum powder is crap. Chlorate amd ekcart 5143 makes a poof for me

if anything chlorate and German dark makes a stronger poof than perchlorate based flash!

if anything chlorate and German dark makes a stronger poof than perchlorate based flash!

It may have been sold as German Dark, but that does not mean it is. Others have bought aluminum from a vendor on Ebay and have had the same issue.

If it truly glitters, I bet it is atomized aluminum, not dark. This does not mean that it cannot be made to work in a report.

sometimes bright flake aluminum have been mixed with charcoal (or even atomized) and passed off as German dark. Real German dark is extremely fine, whereas atomized aluminum feels gritty.

A microscope is the best way to determine if you got ripped off. I too had a fellow pyro friend come to me with a similar prob , ( He purchased Ebay AL) and it was a sham. They took about a 50% -325 sphere and mixed it with -325 dark pyro grade american, and it had a gritty feel as described above. The seller was contacted and told he would be reported if the guy was not refunded( which he did so promptly) .I never trust Ebay, as a "safe " place to buy pyro grade materials. To many shams out there , hoping to lure uneducated newbees into a buy.