Can admins read user to user PM's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pyralex

pyralex

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, 4th of july, Russia, explosives, BP, FP, shells, fountains, canister shells, artillery, rockets, bag shell headings, geography, females, Skylighter, United Nuclear, ball mills, rotary rock tumblers

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

?

#2 Maserface

Maserface

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Only if they have a reason to ;)

(I actually don't know)

Edited by Maserface, 15 July 2015 - 08:07 PM.

#3 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,297 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

If we were absolutely dead set on it, there is a way.  However, it's not easy or straight forward to do.  I think I've had to do it maybe 3 times in the approximate 12 or 13 years I've been running APC.  We respect members' rights to privacy and personal communication. There has to be a VERY compelling reason if we're going to go through the trouble.  

• Ubehage likes this
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#4 marks265

marks265

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:53 PM

I checked some forums on this before and it appeared as though it is pretty easy to do. All the mod has to do is add themselves to the conversation. Another way is to check the databases and see what it compiling. There are IP tools for this stuff that they can use. 

#5 schroedinger

schroedinger

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Marks, actually that is wrong. It really depends on the forum software that is used. There are some sofwares where it is easy, other where it is possible but not easy and forum software that don't allow it or request the user to give permissions to do so.

And even between the ones that allow are big differences. From some where the user cant see if someone got into his account and some only allowing bruteforce methods (e.g. removing/changing password by admin), where the user can see it.

#6 marks265

marks265

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

I don't think so. This would be too gullible for me or others to believe. I checked forums particular to IP. You can't tell me I'm wrong and then say it depends.  Sounds like you don't know and I don't know. But I do know it is possible. I'm not an IT person but I was studying for it so I do know the possibilities are endless. I wouldn't be too quick to right off what a mod says on this. 

#7 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,297 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:56 AM

The brute force method of manually changing a password used to be the only way, but that is quite obvious.  I had to do this once a long time ago.  On older versions of this forum software, you could eventually find what you were looking for in the raw log files if you downloaded them.  That was a gigantic hassle the single time I needed to do it.  There is currently an easier method, but it's still not very convenient, and I'd never bother just to snoop around or to spy on people.

I'm not entirely sure if I can just add myself to a conversation.  At the bare minimum, I would have to know exactly what conversation I wanted to get in on.  I poked around a bit, and it's not like there's just a list of every conversation.  I'm not saying it can't be done, just that I wouldn't know how to go about it.  It also gives notifications anytime anyone joins or leaves a conversation for what it's worth.

There is also a difference on this forum at least between moderator privileges and administrator privileges.  Admins are definitely the only ones with the power to do any of these things.  I don't think you need to worry about either of us. 

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#8 ddewees

ddewees

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:11 AM

Mark,

I just sent you a PM about Mumbles... 

• Tabun likes this

#9 marks265

marks265

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:41 AM

Remember, Lil brother could be watching as well as big brother alphabet dudes. So be careful with what you send whatever it is!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users