APC Forum

Who knows the strontium carbonate red strobe formula?

benrenyi4

Who knows the strontium carbonate red strobe formula?The strontium nitrate strobe stars absorb moisture quickly because the nitrate is hygroscopic.

Now I'm just curious. Lets say I have a rolled batch of red strobe stars in front of me. How long would it take for them not to strobe anymore?

I tested both and worked fine.

bind and rolled them with NC aceton and at last layer sealed of with NC no moist problems.

Chinese strobe Star Red blinking

Strontium Nitrate 58

Potassium Nitrate 5

PVC 15 (HCB or Saran)

Mg/Al alloy powder 18

Sulfur 4

Nitrocellulose "paste" additional 25% to damp

Chinese strobe Star Green blinking

Barium Nitrate 58

Potassium Nitrate 5

Mg/Al alloy powder 17

PVC 15

Sulfur 4

Nitrocellulose "paste" additional 25% to damp

Edited by Rocketier

• 7 months later...

Hi all. Who knows composition?

I've been tinkering with those strobe pots and can't seem to get them regulated. They vary between 2 and 12hz no matter how I adjust the MgAl. Still trying though.

Patrick,

Strobes are sensitive to: Particle sizes (of all the components), compaction, NC-content, moisture content, and finally, the area initially ignited.

That last might seem odd, because - well - ALL the surface will eventually get lit -- right?

Except: If you ignite a small dot in the center of the column, it will 'bore in', forming a shallow core, much like a rocket. That changes the surface area.

So, it's simplest to ignite the entire top of the column at once, in order to get it burning "candle fashion" from the get-go.

Prime the whole surface uniformly thick, and grain-powder prime THAT prime, to make sure it lights uniformly.

LLoyd

Edited by lloyd

Lloyd, I made another small batch using the tips you all gave me in the other thread. I step primed them after scarifying the still damp comp. I used a finer mesh of MgAl as well. I'll let them dry for a week just to be sure before testing.

I also added some fine MgAl to the prime.

I wonder if using a tight cut of MgAl would help. As a back of the envelope calculation, for -100+200 mesh MgAl, the actual amount of metal per granule varies by approximately an order of magnitude. That seems like a lot.

I have some of August's MgAl that I got from Chris but only in the finer meshes. I don't know if the larger tightly classified ones are still available but I'm a'looking.

Edit: nope only the milled.

Edited by OldMarine