APC Forum

My first real ballshells on rockets :)

insutama

In a couple hours i will be launching these beauties just waiting for it to get dark ill video it and hopefully they all work i dont have timefuse so im just using visco as the passfire i hope it all works tell me if you guys can see any issues with these before launch time :)

post-19604-0-29086600-1435980738_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like ill have to launch when i get back from work im gonna be getting called out to work soon so i wont have time to fire them till next time happy pyro everyone :D

Those look great! I don't see any problems. Just make sure you run away when you light those, they look like they have pretty short fuses.

For your mortar I recommend that you try making your own quick match so that you can have a desired time to wait before the shell shoots into the air. Wouldn't want to grow a beard waiting for the fuse to get to the bottom of the shell ;)

ya i have some quick match made but it doesnt fit so well in my mortar i may have to make some with some smaller string

When using visco on header shells it helps to prime the end of the exposed fuse with a slurry of nitro-cellulose

and black powder and then dip it into some coarse grains of black powder. This will insure the fuse catches fire

from the motor delay fuel grain. Cutting the visco fuse at an angle also helps expose more fuse powder to the fire.

Sometimes when the motor fuel delay grain burns through to the end it will blow the header loose from the motor

and not ignite the end of the visco fuse. Black Match will pass fire quickly compared to visco since the entire fuse

surface is readily flammable.

So I fired the 2 small bottle rockets and the mortar on the way to work only one of the rockets worked the other one shot up but the shell didn't go off so I think I'll either try black match or try dipping the end of the fuse in nc laqour then dip it in meal powder that's what you ment right ? Or do you mix meal powder in with the nc laqour and mix it together then add this to end of fuse ? And the mortar didn't work because the fuse went out it was to tight between the shell and mortar any suggestions here ?

For my mortars I side fuse them. For the film can shells I find this easier and quicker, not wasting precious visco or bm.

Were you giddy like Christmas morning lighting your work? I was and still am every time I shoot.

DaM

Ya I always get that giddy feeling in my stomach before I light my fireworks I love it. How do you side fuse ur mortars? Do your shells have lift cups or do you just fill mortar with powder then put shell in. I assume that's what you mean by side fusing them

Yes I made Hdpe motars and drilled a hole in the side near the bottom. No lift cup insert the fuse and pour my lift charge. Worked great for me to dial my lift in.

Any video?

DaM

Ya I was thinking of doing this however I wanted to make the lift part of the shell for quicker reload firing times

Whats the best type of glue to use for these plastic 1" ball shells i have heard methyal chloride and pvc cement and xylene but i have also heard negative stuff about all these so whats the best ?

Not to cut in but the best I know for joining plastics is this

http://www.industrialplasticsnyconline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Acrylic+Solvent

I joins the peices in a way that normal glues fail at. It actually melts the suface of the plastics to be joined and went put together they melt in to each other as one unit rather than some glue that sits on the surface. It's safe to use, use rubber gloves(not an option) and avoid breathing it. You can use horse hair type brushes or use the applicator that comes with it. It sets the peices in seconds.

Edited by Sparx88

• 4 weeks later...