APC Forum

Do I need a permit as hobbyist?

FIREoBUGoEFFECTS

The idea of being a pyrotechnical hobbyist is something I want to pursue and to also make event smoke for various paintball events. I do not intent to make anything explosive. So I am wondering if I need some type of permit from the BATF or some other permission to make smoke bombs? At which point is it necessary to get a permit?

Federally, you do not need a permit as long as nothing is stored for more than 24 hours and nothing leaves your property.

State and local laws will vary and may be harsher than the federal law.

If you were to ever want to sell them, or use them at a paintball event that the participant pay to compete you would probably also need a license or permit. As for which one, that is a bit more difficult. A type 20 should cover all the bases, but may also be overboard. I suspect a low explosive one would probably do so long as nothing is exploding.

I am reading the ATF updated FEL Regulations .PDF for applicants right now. I have been invited to FPAG and the July shoot here in Florida. Speaking with the treasurer about the application and membership this license came up. The BATF license is the FEL license like the sample I attached below, correct? when I get into all the actual projects and physically storing the chems I will most definitely be acquiring the license. The downside to getting the FEL from what I can gather is the Attorny Generals powers, (IE the right to search and sieze property without a warrant, inspections at any time etc) - You are basically a blip on the radar for as long as you want to be a true artist in pyro.

post-19903-0-38581900-1435891001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nickmaslo

Paintball and other close action battle games will certainly involve you in proving that the products are fit (safe) for purpose, so being on the radar is little compared to being in the clutches of an insurance company or some claim handling lawyer.

I suppose the protection outweighs the risk of being harassed.

if you're doing airsoft events, especially ones where people pay admissions, do not use homemade devices. You should be using commercial devices.

if you're doing airsoft events, especially ones where people pay admissions, do not use homemade devices. You should be using commercial devices.

If you are licensed, doesn't that imply that you are professional and able to produce commercial grade devices? I'm only asking because I'm uncertain of what the license signifies.

the license allows you to produce the stuff for sale or whatever (depending on your license type), but that doesn't solve the liability side. If someone got burned you could be liable for it. For a commercial event they're going to want insurance, and if you're using homemade stuff, nobody is going to insure that.

It takes more than a type 20 to start making pyrotechnic devices for commercial sale.

the license allows you to produce the stuff for sale or whatever (depending on your license type), but that doesn't solve the liability side. If someone got burned you could be liable for it. For a commercial event they're going to want insurance, and if you're using homemade stuff, nobody is going to insure that.

It takes more than a type 20 to start making pyrotechnic devices for commercial sale.

Thanks for the information. It seems a shame not to be able to use homemade stuff, but I can understand why.