APC Forum

cutting time fuse....

SideGlance

has anyone ever heard of a incident where someone was cutting time fuse with a razor blade and it ignited from the friction ?

• Like 1

I have "heard of it".

It has been mentioned in a video somewhere on Youtube, that they also heard about it.

So. Yea, I heard about it. But I don't have a clue wether it's true or false. Personally, I think it may only happen if you try to saw your way through the fuse, instead of just pressing the blade straight down.

I've never heard about something like this when using a razor blade. Most experienced people I know of use a razor blade, an anvil cutter, or a jig/machine that works in a similar fashion.

Most of the stories I've heard about generally involved scissors on a variety of fuses. The action of the blades sliding against each other is not preferable as it can put friction on any composition that gets trapped between the blades.

• Like 1

ok i guess its a good safety practice to cross match your time fuse on both ends before loading and sealing the shell. i see a lot of people split the fuse after the shell is sealed... btw Zambelli Fireworks punch their time fuse after the burst portion is sealed. so i guess its pretty damn safe

Edited by SideGlance

I have never heard about an accidental ignition with any type of fuse when being cut with a razor or anvil cutter. I use both with time fuse depending on my needs. I also use a brass awl to punch time fuse for cross matching or to punch a hole into lift cups.

ok i guess its a good safety practice to cross match your time fuse on both ends before loading and sealing the shell.

I do the same. The only way I could see a safety issue is if the time fuse or device used to cut/punch is compromised with some sort of grit or chemical that could produce a spark. I trust my workmanship more than the fuse, but why take a chance on either if there is a safer way.