APC Forum

What size canister for first shell

BeverFever

I was wondering what size canister shell I should build first. I have a 2", 3", and 4" HPDE tubes. Should I start with 3" for better lift and burst capability. I won't be boosting the burst with flash. Or should I start with 2" because of less comp used.

I will be making plenty of cut N1 glitter tonight to use in what ever size I choose. I ask because I have read that mumbles said that 2" can be difficult to lift without decently hot BP, so that is why I ask.

I think that 3" and 4" shells are easier to build than smaller ones. The reason is the working space in the small casing. I don't have large hands, but still end up using hemostats to help keep the stars and everything in the proper place.

My preference for a first shell is always three inches. The simple reason is that a 3" shell should break well with fast BP but not NEED a booster (OK you can choose on later if you want -that's your design). There is a fair amount of compound(s) needed but the size is usually convenient for simple manual assembly. For economy then obviously 2" or 2.5" are smaller, BUT though they take less powder they will eat at your patience and dexterity, and ultimately the quality of the product will not satisfy you for long

You can use toilet paper rolls in a 2" mortar to practice inexpensively with canister shells to get your lift down and make sure your stars are performing to your liking. If you have never made fireworks before it is better to start on the smaller size and work you way up. Your first shell will astound you of what you have created.

Okay, thank you for the input. I'll go with my original choice. 3" canister. I was think along the same lines as you all. I just wanted some back up. I bought the 2" tube for salutes. When I eventually get there (probably next year). I was going to use strait granulated BP for burst in the 3", but is it much more advisable to coat rice hulls (rice puff cereal)?

Okay, thank you for the input. I'll go with my original choice. 3" canister. I was think along the same lines as you all. I just wanted some back up. I bought the 2" tube for salutes. When I eventually get there (probably next year). I was going to use strait granulated BP for burst in the 3", but is it much more advisable to coat rice hulls (rice puff cereal)?

It will save on lift powder if you use coated rice hulls however in large shells this does not create as much of a burst. I use granulated bp for burst in all of my smaller shells (less than 3") and bp rice hulls for over 3" shells and then boost with slow flash.

Of those sizes you mention, my preference would be a mixture of 3" & 4" shells, both of which are large enough to accommodate fairly unfettered access as has been mentioned above as being a problem with smaller shells. In addition, if you size your stars from 3/8" to 1/2" they can be used universally in either can size, eliminating the need to make different sized stars. Smaller shells = more work = Less color in the sky. Since discovering Jopete's Monocapa Prime, I find a dosing of around 3 grams of 70/30 mixed with the Hot BP in my cannule seriously increases the spread of the break on my 4" canister shells and I have been getting a very low amount of blind stars. Good stuff.....

It will save on lift powder if you use coated rice hulls however in large shells this does not create as much of a burst. I use granulated bp for burst in all of my smaller shells (less than 3") and bp rice hulls for over 3" shells and then boost with slow flash.

Actually for cylinder shells, you will want to use hot, granulated BP about 2FA sized. Traditionally, the cannule is filled with the burst BP and stars are placed around it. Some do use a booster if they want, but there is debate on the safety of flash breaks in a multibreak shell.

I would agree with the recommendation of 3" or 4" over the 2". I actually build 2" shells differently than anything larger. I simply mix in hot BP and stars. The difference between that, and spending time to form a cannule wasn't really all that much in my experience. I tend to use this size of shell as inserts in larger shells, so I typically make several at once. The expediency of just bulk filling everything is nice.

I don't use BP on any sort of carrier for cylinder shells typically. I've done it both ways successfully though. Using granular BP just makes the shell feel more solidly filled to me. The space in a cylinder shell is typically limited, so I also prefer to fit as much bursting composition as possible. If you have a situation, like a comet shell, with a lot of space to fill then using BP on something might be more applicable, or you can mix BP with polverone to save on the more expensive or time consuming to prepare BP.

As an aside, with 2" shells you have to watch out for nominally 2" mortars designed for commercial class C shells. These are actually 1.91" or 1.81" in inner diameter. If you're not aware of this, it's easy to make a shell that will be very tight or not fit inside the mortar.

Mumbles: I agree that a cannule in a 2" shell is of dubious positive effect. However, in the 3" and 4" shells a cannule consisting of a single wrap of tissue paper drastically improves the symmetry of my breaks and it only takes 10 minutes to make a bunch of them. I just put a dozen (6 with canulle, and 6 without) up in the air a week ago and the difference was very noticeable. I also like that the burst charge stays put and handling doesn't ever cause any settling. Paul at Bangkok Pyro shows the same technique I use in one of his online video's. I believe the video is an 8" shell if you go searching..

So I made my 3" shell. I am about to spike it, but I don't know if I should just dismantle it. I fell an inch short of filling it...... So as of right now it sits at 2.5" diameter and 2" tall...... Should I finish it and shoot it or just dismantle and make more stars.

But make more stars anyway..

As you just learned, it's always better to have too many stars than not enough........ :rolleyes:

Oh this is just some left overs from my first try. I'm about to make a bunch of N1 glitter stars. What's a good batch size to make at once.

That all depends on how many shells you want to make. I find that my 3 inch canister shells generally range between 220 grams and 300 grams depending on the density of the stars I am making. Charcoal stars are lighter than a parlon bound metal fueled star.