APC Forum

How do you identify BP/Perc black match?

Ubehage

I bought 50 meters of black match, but it's not what I expected.

Instead of individual strands, I got a roll of 5 strands glued together in BP.

But that's not really a problem. It is to overcome, with a little bit of work.

My concern came, when I lit some of it, to see how it burns.

The flame does not look like normal BP. It has a purple-ish color. And this makes me wonder, if this is a perch-based black match.

After what I have been reading about black matches, I am considering to throw all 50 meters into the fire, if I can't be 100% sure that it is true BP.

Purplish color might indicate KCl as a reaction product...

A thought:

You could try to soak some of that stuff in water, maybe cut it in little bits first.

Then try to filter/decant everything insoluble, try to get a clear solution.

Finally test with methylene blue solution.

But:

Nitrate will form a precipitate too. I've never tried out if the purple precipitate from perchlorate and the blue precipitate from the nitrate can be distinguished...?

If I had my stuff at hand I'd test this right know, but I haven't.

I wonder what will happen if both are present...?

• Like 1

Take a meter or 2, BP wil give a loud "clack" or a "poof" (you can check the sound with a lot of shell vids) Perc based quickmatch will give a "bang".
If it's just for shells, no chains, perc quickmatch should work too.

Or maybe just e-mail the seller ?

• Like 1

If this product your are working with is the "Red" Perchlorate Quickmatch that has recently been available, I find that removing two (2) of the strings of match from the piping makes it more manageable for single shell leaders. Other than that, it is too energetic for chains in my opinion. You can also remove all the perchlorate match from the piping and replace it with pink fast fuse or similar and you have a decent quickmatch as well.

• Like 1

perch match is usually grey in color. it is indeed zippy compared to the traditional stuff

I wouldn't throw it in a fire as it always has a use. Just get more Q-match that meets the needs of other projects. It is just a small learning curve where it all spends!

• Like 2