APC Forum

Pyro in Canada?

MWJ

If I wanted to start a web site with a friend in Canada, Who could we ask to find out the regulations on chemicals to sell? It will be ran from Canada so shipping to Canada wont be an issue for any one living in Canada.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Hi,

If there is anything I can do to help?

This website would be a good start. www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/acts-regulations/9839

This is the governing body that I did my training with for my Pyrotechnician certificate.

Again let me know if there is anyway I can help.

DaM

• Like 1

Yeah I'm with you on this one. There are quite a few people looking to make fireworks in Canada. Your best bet would be selling the tubes and stuff that Pyrocreations sells. The upside would be that Canadians wouldn't have to pay a $50 shipping fee.

What the "F" is the deal with shipping fees, I can order crap directly from China with free shipping.

But if I want to buy something from Canada or ship something to Canada they rape you on the shipping fee.

This "free trade" is a one sided deal for most of us.

While trying to locate lost packages and such, I've learned that many large sellers have something like bulk shipping contracts, where they do most of the package processing themselves and just drop a batch off at some larger sorting station. And AFAIK most of the work done for every package is exactly the processing. OTOH in west even the large retailers still have high shipping prices.

As for legality. Not sure about Canada, but it might be worth paying attention to differences between sales to individuals and companies. In here limitations as to bulk materials for companies are next to none (except for ready to use, regulated products or very specific substances) and the buying party is responsible for whatever they are going to do with the stuff. Selling to individuals is much more regulated.

Also I would pay attention to the exact format of your store. If you have any actual place where people can come in to receive products, regulations might be much stricter than having a warehouse and buyers receiving products only in mail.

Getting the shipping correct for hazardous goods could be a challenge. MANY chems only travel by land because the compliance for air transport is too expensive.

What i dont understand is why fuse is so expensive here in canada and so cheap in the states its the same fuse but in canada anywere that sells visco is around 1$ a foot and no one thats located in the states will ship to canada i dont get it because fuse must be legal i can buy it in my local gun shop but its so expensive i wouldnt mind starting a store that sells fuse to Canadians for a reasonable price id just have to go to the states buy 1,000 feet and bring it back myself. does anyone know why no one ships fuse to canada unless the company is located in canada but then its outrageously expensive and next to no selection

• Like 1

Lack of demand probably. If the potential uses are so limited no-one buys fuse, sellers cant buy large stock in wholesale thus making it more expensive.

Edited by deer

A market where you can name all the potential customers in a country the size of Canada, really isn't a market. That's why supplies are hard to come by and expensive. You are hoping that someone will stock 1000m of each of three to ten types of fuse, knowing that the stock will last ten plus years and may degrade before it's sold. Add that you want it at the cheapest price you can find by web search with free hazmat transport. I can see why no-one finds it a viable stock item.

Aside from the chems issue. Everyday supplies would be fantastic. Tubes, paper, etc.

DaM

• Like 1

What i dont understand is why fuse is so expensive here in canada and so cheap in the states its the same fuse but in canada anywere that sells visco is around 1$ a foot and no one thats located in the states will ship to canada i dont get it because fuse must be legal i can buy it in my local gun shop but its so expensive i wouldnt mind starting a store that sells fuse to Canadians for a reasonable price id just have to go to the states buy 1,000 feet and bring it back myself. does anyone know why no one ships fuse to canada unless the company is located in canada but then its outrageously expensive and next to no selection

Email Pyrofire.eu for fuse. I just bought 985 feet off of them (300 Meters) for $115 which is $0.12 per foot.

Yeah, even just a small online company that sells tubes, supplies, tooling etc. would probably work out. Maybe even just an account on ebay that sells a bunch of different things would be a good idea.

EDIT: I MEANT TO SAY $115 NOT $15

Edited by OblivionFall

did your fuse get to you yet ? i just went to pyrofire and i dont see fuse for that cheap its 24 euros for 100 meters so how did you get such a good deal ?

Edited by insutama

Email Pyrofire.eu for fuse. I just bought 985 feet off of them (300 Meters) for $15 which is $0.12 per foot.

That doesn't make any sense! 12¢ a foot and you have 985 feet of fuse... should be around $118

On the web site it says 25 Euro for 100 meters. That's $28.00 US. That's $84.00 for 300 meters plus shipping. Where did you get $15.00? You must have got an awesome deal or they messed up. Did you get it yet?

On the web site it says 25 Euro for 100 meters. That's $28.00 US. That's $84.00 for 300 meters plus shipping. Where did you get $15.00? You must have got an awesome deal or they messed up. Did you get it yet?

Woops I meant to say $115

Too bad, I thought you got an incredible deal. :)

300 meters what last me a very long time.

Happy Canada Day!

I'm finally getting out to shoot my first commercial show. I knew my pyrotechnics assistant license would come in handy one day. :)

A local company picked me up to help shoot!!!! :)

Can't wait. BE safe all and have a great day.

DaM

Canada day is tomorrow but congrats on ur first show I'm pumped for you hope everything is amazing stay safe buddy.

I was going to take my pyrotechnics assistance course I was booked for it but had to miss it because of work take lots of pics

Edited by insutama
  • Like 1

Of course it's tomorrow, but I won"t be on tomorrow :)

Wow!

Prior to yesterday I had only experienced home use fireworks, and my own film can shells. I am still at a loss for words.

From set-up to firing to tear down, Mam o Man has this hobby got me. An I got paid to do it!!! :)

The largest we fired yesterday was 6" and also had a couple of nautical shells.

It was awesome!!

Below is a shot of us waiting with a full moon coming up over the horizon.

post-19672-0-40438500-1435867782_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaMounty

I'm so jealous of you now DaMounty ! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Fellow Canadian here. My concern is that opening a hobby fireworks supply store is questionably legal here, if not outright illegal. I know that building fireworks as a hobbyist is strongly frowned upon, and if you get caught, they'll mark down every chemical you have and charge you with owning each one, according to my supervisor at the ERD. Hobby fireworks should be legal here, and we should have clubs to build legally, but I think you'll have a hard time getting started under our current system of government. As a hobbyist, I was investigated by CSIS as a potential terrorist.

That said, I'll call Rachel or Montserrat at the ERD this week and ask for their views on the viability of opening a shop. I wish I could be more optimistic. If there is any chance of legally doing it, of course I'd be interested in helping out! But I'd really want to investigate the legal details beforehand.

• Like 1

Opening a pyro supplies shop may tweak the law too much, BUT many chems come into Canada for other purposes, Cardboard and paper are everywhere, charcoal is for DIY making nitrate is a common fertiliser, Lots of things come for the craft pottery industry, Sodium bi carbonate for glitters comes from cookery and baking stores -it's a rising agent for food! PVC -plastics moulding, Dextrin from commercial bakery-(glaze for pastries)

If you get some kind of Lawful organisation going there you may just open the law and regulations up a little and be able to use the little space for lawful purposes.