APC Forum

Happy rocket

Sparx88

These may need a lil tlc. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to stop them from arching over like that. It started heading back down when it broke and made it look like a horse tail. I used 2' of 3/16 dowel. The header a 2" weighed 68 grams. The motor a 5/8 coreburner 4" tube and 2 1/4" L by 1/4" wide core. no nozzle. Just my normal hot bp. I was thinking either a heavier longer stick, stabilizzzer or try building one with a nozzle?

post-18732-0-44641000-1434909041_thumb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrjoHvgR4jc&feature=youtu.be

I think your problem is the lenght of the tubes you're using, a 6 1/4" long tube should hold more powder thus give you more power, adding a nozzle also helps, perhaps some of the more advance members can give you a better advice

• Like 1

The core seems short to me, but that is a size of rocket I have never made. The rocket reached a nice height, so all you need is less delay to display the shell before it arcs over. You could try a nozzle too for a little more power, but to me, it looked like the apogee was just right for the size of header.
  • Like 1

A bigger stick would probably do wonders too. As you may notice it already starts to bend during launch. This can be prevented by either a really powerfull motor (whistle) that immediately shoots it straight up, or a bigger stick to keep it in the right direction.

Please let us know how the next one turns out!

• Like 1

That looked pretty good to me - it's the sort of thing I'm working toward.

Yeah, I guess it could have gone up a bit straighter. I think a 2ft stick is way too short - I'd be extending it to 3 1/2 - 4ft. The added weight will also help it break at apogee, although perhaps not as high, but better than curving over?

So my suggestion is do everything the same, except extend the stick (same dowel) - probably an easier option without fiddling with delays and nozzles, and without introducing other variables when you are almost there anyway.

Cheers.

Edited by stix
  • Like 1

I would try one with a nozzle, for sure!

Looks like you may have timed fused the shell?

A half increment or so less "delay" fuel would probably get you there.

Nice!

• Like 1

I would try one with a nozzle, for sure!

Looks like you may have timed fused the shell?

A half increment or so less "delay" fuel would probably get you there.

Nice!

Yep when mine arc over too much I change the delay, I make mostly nozzled rockets (except whistle of course).

And how did you fuse the shell?

Edited by oldspark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the advice. I meant to reply sooner but I will post the pics and videos of tonights sky art show with most of the suggestions above :)

I