APC Forum

Ammonium Perchlorate Blues

db5086

These stars ignite well (+/_ 90%) when contained in a shell but less than half take fire in a mine bag. Any idea's on how to fix the mines. Here's the process I used.

Stars:

Ammonium perc. 60

Sulfur. 17

Black copper oxide 20

Red Gum. 06

Dextrin 05

Prime: Pinball

Potassium Perchlorate. 75

Airfloat Charcoal. 15

Red Gum. 10

Dextrin 05

Silicon. 05

When the stars were dry I applied a coat of NC laq over the pinball to seal them from the finish primer (monocappa). They were topped with bp mill dust. The stars are a week old and hard as marbles so I don't think there was any leaching. I've used the same piston type mine and have never had an issue with stars lighting till now with these friggen blues. Also, they light no problem out of a star gun. Any suggestions besides scrapping. I really wanted these in a r/w/b cake

Sometimes I have this too and what I do is simply add 5% dark aluminum to the final mill dust prime.

The pinball prime should have been water bound first. Once throughly dry, the potassium nitrate containing prime, should be applied with N/C lacquer. There's no need for two hot primes, and BP mill dust. Pinball, followed by scratch mix, would be preferred.