APC Forum

low budget Shell wrapping device

pyrovinny

While your idea sounds very familiar here's is a video of a shell pasted I made a couple years ago with a bike rim and ac gear motors

Dean

Hey zmuro. I would be willing to pay you for an instruction manual on how to construct your pasting machine.

• 1 month later...

The most important bit is the control program and hardware to control the motors. The board you need costs £37 ($57) including international postage. https://www.pc-control.co.uk/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&path=65_68&product_id=72

I prefer my woody to my wheelie machine to paste smaller shells (2" - 3"), they look lost inside a 24" wheel. I`ve been testing some alternatives to using an embedded magnet for the fuse for 3-7 axis pasting which produces a nice round shell. Pic was after the 1st axis.was pasted.

post-10522-0-31668200-1443022801_thumb.jpg

Using a single axis with 2 turns generates a whiskey barrel shape which is surprisingly good for rocket headers with a bottom shot parked on the top.

post-10522-0-25063900-1443022828_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here`s a comparison of the two techniques i use with the pasting machine, single axis 2 turrns and 3-axis single turn. The circles on the multi axis shell denote the pole area build up. I didnt fill in any of the pole circles so its a bit more of a cube than normal. Upto 7- axis can be used for larger shells.

post-10522-0-32540900-1444501170_thumb.jpg

I'm very impressed with the "woody", Col. Is the shell spindle geared to the table somehow?

yep, its all connected together in one way or another, kinda like the song, dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones :)

There`s 2 (big) wooden gears at the top and 3 smaller wooden gears at the bottom. The 1st wooden gear on the bottom is directly connected to the big gear at the top via the glue box and tape carrier (single unit) The 2nd gear on the bottom can be pivotted in an arc but remain meshed with the 1st gear. The pivotted gear creates the variable spacing so the 3rd gear on the bottom can be switched out for a different gear with more or less teeth to vary the ratio. The 3rd gear drives a vertical rod that connects via a universal joint to a steel worm gear that rotates the shell. Sounds much more complicated than it is :)

Edited by Col

Here`s a vid of the bottom gear arrangement. It also shows the glue box and tape roll. The tape holder swings out to make replacing the roll easier. The glue box just slides in and locks via 2 wingnuts.

The tube on the vertical shaft locks via the grubscrews to the shaft on the gear. To change the gear i just loosen both grubscrews and slide the tube up, retighten the top grubscrew to hold it up out of the way. Replace the gear, slide the tube back down and tighten the grubscrews.

Here`s the wooden gears ready for the bandsaw.

https://youtu.be/7lzoDA_c7ts

Edited by Col

I believe my lust to possess one of these may exceed your lust to possess an Acme.

Col,

Have always envisioned a hand cranked machine for pasting shells, can you post a photo showing the Woody from

a distance so we can see the lower level and upper level at the same time. You might want to call it the da Vinci, with

the wooden gears it reminds me of some of his designs. Very Cool!

Arthur, nice machine but could it be built it for less than £60 / $100 using basic tools and locally available parts? :) The glue box needs tweaking judging by the glue being thrown around and dripping off the metalwork

Hi Mikeee,

I`ll eventually get around to building it into the workbench so the bottom sits inside the top of a cupboard and the top is flush with the worktop. It`ll be more streamlined and compact but for now its freestanding, perfectly functional but not too pretty.

Here`s a pic from the top, the shell top mount has been modified since but with the video`s it should be enough to give you a good idea of how it goes together.

post-10522-0-13953600-1415812938_thumb.jpg

The tricky part is choosing physical gear sizes to provide the correct ratio and also meet/match the spacing requirements. Its easy to overlook small but important details such as 3 gears being necessary on the bottom to ensure the shell rotates in the correct direction.

I dont think Da Vinci would be too critical of my design solutions, the pivotted gear for example is simple and elegant, not unlike some of his :)

Edited by Col

Fascinating and ingenious. So the tape and the glue box are underneath the large gear, and the takeoff to the spindle is below that again. And as a nice final touch you can listen to the Eurythmics as you spin the handle. :sleep:

yep, its all underneath out of the way, the tape comes up through the rectangular tube, over a roller and along the arm. A high tech elastic band keeps the arm in contact with the shell even if its mounted slightly off center. The bulk of the machine, including the glue box, came out of a1/4 sheet of 3/8" birch plywood (7-ply) which cost £15 from the local timber merchants

Dont know about the eurythmics but anything is preferable to whining motors ;)

Edited by Col