Photo
- - - - -

potassium nitrate flash powder. not so flashy.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:52 AM

Our of curiosity, what disaster will happen from milling aluminum with chrome plated BB that wouldn't also happen with a different media? Namely the pyrophoric nature of aluminum causing it to heat up and potentially catch fire as large amounts of aluminum oxide quickly form.

I guess you could potentially alloy your aluminum with a bit of chrome or maybe even eventually add some red iron oxide catalyst or begin to make thermite, depending on how you look at it. But that's really reaching. Just wondering what I'm overlooking?

#22 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:00 AM

Speaking of which... I never used chrome plated media, but ball bearings are typically used for milling Al, since lead is to soft...I fully expect there to be "some" iron contamination, but over the years it still has to achieve noticeable wear on the balls.

#23 drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

Friends:

Some of you know that I am a professional and work as Chemist and product development in a pyro-factory (actually in Germany).

I use Potassium Nitrate flashes since 30 years and they are good.

Standard formula:

55 % finest Potassium Nitrate

25 % very fine bright aluminum, for example the  999, from the Indian MEPCO-factory

20 % sulphur

+ 1 % finest boric acid

Only mix all ingredients and ready

ignites easily

Alternative formula:

60 %  finest Potassium Nitrate

25 % very fine bright aluminum, forexample the  999, from the Indian MEPCO-factory

15 % sulphur

+ 1 % boric acid

Mix only Potassium Nitrate, sulphur and boric acid and mill it like Black Powder,

then sieve it and add the aluminum.

Not so easy to ignite, but stronger, like a Barium Nitrate flash.

Both flash and make thunder quit well. The thunder sounds heavier (lower sound frequency) than that of a perchlorate flash.

Important: "Black" aluminum is not so good here, the alu has to be fluffy or the velocity of combustion goes down. Best are very, very fine bright aluminum types

like 999 from MEPCO or TTT from ARASAN (also India).

Using the right alu, contrary to common flash, you even may compress them slightly at loading. Doing so, common flash powder will no longer work, but these ones even may become better,

I use these flash mixes most for breaking my coloured star shells. Symmetry of burst is better than with the perchlorate flash.

Yours truly: Toivo

• FlareLauncher, Ubehage and OldMarine like this

#24 FirecrackerXL

FirecrackerXL

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Hello guys,

Im new to this forum, because I've seen some interesting posts on this site so I wanted to join you guys.

I've got around 4 years of experience with fireworks. I started of making black powder, then after a while I started making flash.

Anyway, I started making kmno4 based flash, with spherical al powder (very low mesh) so it burned kinda slow and would NOT ignite with the ram of a hammer, it did not even ignite with a

blowtorch however it did with cannonfuse? It did work great for some firecrackers (used about 7 grams per cracker) and it would make a extremely loud bang.

So I used this for a while but I got kind of scared by reading about kmno4 online... I was thinking about switching to kno3 based flash.

The thing that kept me from using kno3 for flash, were these kind of topics, where they say that is is shitty and all. I just want to say some things about my experience with this kind of flash powder.

I bought some 4µm dark al powder, and already had some 99,9% pure kno3 and I just mixed a batch. Burned not very fast at all, in the beginning.

After some time passed, I made my kno3 way finer and mixed it better with the al (ratio 5-3-2, kno3 al s). Burned with a little poof (not spectacular or anything).

I put 3,8 grams in a homemade tube, made from kraft paper and wood glue, It was as hard as a rock, the walls of the tube were about 4mm thick. I finished it with a plastic end plug,

without glue, nothing, just popped the end Plug/cap in to give it a nice finish there was nothing holding it in place or anything, you could just pop it out by sticking your nail under it.

Anyway I ignited it far from where I live, I Ignited it and I ran away not expecting anything, but omfg the bang was unreal. This bang was louder then commercially bought 5 gram kclo4 al firecrackers!

So basically my kno3 al s flash works AMAZING. For new years evening I made around 25 firecrackers, reaching from 1 gram to 30 gram a piece. My friend and I just had a peep in our ears after igniting some 10 gram firecrackers also with just some plastic end caps WITHOUT glue. I ignited it 30 meters from my home and the windows in my house just shaked from the shock wave...

I Dont know how it happens to not work for you guys, but I just have one tip, put a lot of time in making the chemicals very fine (kno3, s) and mix them very careful and well. Use the diaper methode for mixing!

Thank you for reading this!,

Greetings

#25 justvisiting

justvisiting

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:39 PM

I'm a 70/30 guy when I use flash, which is not so much. Perc is hard to come by in my country. I would like to make flash using potassium nitrate as the oxidizer. The reason I have never done it is because I can't get past the feeling that the nitrate flash would be more sensitive to initiation, and therefore more risky to handle than perchlorate flash. It would be cool to know if my concern is unfounded or not.

#26 AussieBombTech

AussieBombTech

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, explosives, chemistry, family and medicine

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:24 PM

futile? do you have any suggestions? please share.

It’s not futile. I have ball milled aluminium powder that I bought at 200# atomised down to 800# flake dark. Not all of it will be flake but it works a lot better than just atomised, especially with perch
My kryptonite is fe2o3, that stuff stained my work bench for months.

#27 AussieBombTech

AussieBombTech

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, explosives, chemistry, family and medicine

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

PotassiumNitrate and Magnesium 50%/50% is a good mix for salutes in the fx industrie. Keep it dry and keep safe!

You’re insane recommending mg flash to newbies, that an explosion waiting to happen
My kryptonite is fe2o3, that stuff stained my work bench for months.

#28 FlareLauncher

FlareLauncher

Playing with fire

• Donator - HE
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:RETIREMENT! I hope I live long enough to get it..... Have I got 24 more months of work in me? Lord, I hope so...

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:04 PM

Well - THATS uncomfortable, huh? I cant believe this discussion has gone into the toilet so damned fast. I fear for the future of the hobby, not to mention this board. Can we not moderate ourselves? Let me share an old axiom from my EMS career - "Just because you know how, doesn't mean you should". I sure hope we pull this one out of the crapper, folks. This is getting downright scary.

#29 pyrojig

pyrojig

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:00 PM

justvisiting:
I have ventured into making many types of flash about 25y of adventures in this hobby. I would rest assure that the nitrate flash is a pretty safe mix. It is very common in todays pyro industry especially in cake inserts. Many swear by it, as a better alternative to the 70/30 standard for boosting shells . I am not a huge fan of the light output upon the break of a shell. It tends to ruin the effect if it is a charcoal star or dim effect. As for sensitivities , standard flash will pop with a 22 cal. And im not so sure about the nitrate flash. As for friction sensitivities im not 100% sure but if I recall it is less as well. The best thing I would suggest is get your hands on some good literature pyro related and study like crazy. Lots of fun and more experienced comps can be approached with confidence this way , and not jeopardize ones safety from not knowing . 

#30 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:29 AM

I love reading the threads on flash. They are always quite entertaining. The only better threads are the locked threads. I see the word "flash" in the title and put the popcorn in the oven because it's gonna be a great show.

#31 justvisiting

justvisiting

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:21 PM

Popcorn in the oven? Is that safe?

#32 pyrojig

pyrojig

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:55 AM

Dear god ..... pop corn in the oven !!!!!!!  Lock this thread!!!! Thats so dangerous people lose fingers .... eat'n in a frenzy .Make sure you read all the literature you can on cooking popcorn ...wear proper protection . goggles , gloves , blast shield  :unsure:

#33 Sulphurstan

Sulphurstan

Pyromaniac

• Donator
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:59 PM

I love reading the threads on flash. They are always quite entertaining. The only better threads are the locked threads. I see the word "flash" in the title and put the popcorn in the oven because it's gonna be a great show.

Oh yesssss! I just crossed this thread, read a few contributions here and there, and though to myself "oh oh, some of you guys don't really know what you're talking about", one of you will eventually have to regret..." And the popcorn contribution expressed 100% my feelings: little corn seed plays around in the oven, and then "paf", little corn seed is gone"

Edited by Sulphurstan, 15 September 2018 - 04:00 PM.

• FlareLauncher likes this

#34 FlareLauncher

FlareLauncher

Playing with fire

• Donator - HE
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:RETIREMENT! I hope I live long enough to get it..... Have I got 24 more months of work in me? Lord, I hope so...

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

At the risk of offending anyones "Machismo", I thought we might be a little kinder and gentler? I made mistakes, we all have, but some things just don't 'forgive' well - ya know? I have not been doing this since man discovered Sulfur, but I've been in it for a while. I like a good laugh, and recognize a 'caution' when I hear one. Not everyone does. I'd just hate to see someone hurt. We need not make the news, friends...

#35 PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:31 PM

Just an FYI:  

5-3-2 actually has a lower ignition temp than 70-30 perc...... not to mention what sulfur does for friction sensitivity.  

Like they always say:  There ain't no 'safe' flash.  Treat it all the same.  

Edited by PhoenixRising, 17 September 2018 - 10:31 PM.

• FlareLauncher likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users