APC Forum

Mobile App about fireworks effects

Pirotecnia

Hi people,

My work is related to systems development and, as i love fireworks, i decided to make something that mixes the two areas.

I've made a very simple Android (only) mobile app for those who want to know how some firework effect performs. You can choose an effect name, and see a Youtube video of it. I'll add more effects to the list in the next days without having to update the app.

You can download the App at Google Play store in following this URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CristianoSarmento.fireworkseffects

If you want, you can give me some suggestions and more names of effects.

Sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this kind of topic.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Very nice app man !

It works pretty good on my Huawei G510-100, altough it's a bad phone in my opinion.

They're already a nice amount of effects added, what's the next stap, adding some construction information, or a comp database ?

It's the first pyro app I think (correct me if I'm wrong ?) so I'm enthousiastic :D.

• Like 1

Thanks, Andres1511,

Well, i'm not sure if it is the first pyro app.

I will search if it's possible to add a composition database, etc, without going against the principles and politics of Google Play Store.

But the goal is to add more features in the future.

And i will wait for the opinions and suggestions of yours.

Thanks!

I really like the principle of heaving a video. Sometimes in a comp database I just miss a clear video that actually shows the true color, so that's what gave me the idea of adding a composition database.

But of course, the google play store rules have to be followed.

Hi jordanm,

Actually, i have no money yet to put the App in the Apple Store because, as developers, we need to pay a tax of about $100 to have our app at the store and for this moment, i have no monetary contitions. But in the future, if i monetize the App, i will add it to Apple Store.

Thanks for comprehension.

I really like the principle of heaving a video. Sometimes in a comp database I just miss a clear video that actually shows the true color, so that's what gave me the idea of adding a composition database.

This was what was always missing from Pyroguide in my opinion. Photos/videos of the composition results! Would make selecting a star for a particular use much easier...

I will add videos of compositions too in the App. By now, i added only the basic effects like (salute, peony, chrys, multibreak, fountain....) but i'll add the other kind of effects (effects from compositions by it's name like, for example, the D1 Glitter, etc, etc)

Thanks!

I'm developing now another app with fireworks compositions.

It will have categories and the compositions for each category.

If you have some idea to make it better, give me it please.

Thanks!

If you have some idea to make it better, give me it please.

Since nobody is going to be able to fill an app with everything pyro on their own... Make it so users can add formulas.

Users may, or may not want to be identifiable, depending on their circumstances. But in some way you have to "keep track" of what users added, and let other users "rate" the formula, in a way that makes it possible to sort out, and remove none working formulas regularly. On the other hand you don't want this formula flushing remove formulas that actually work, but takes a precise procedure to use / make.

Oh, and compositions needs to have a distinct layout. Something like chem's needed, in % by weight, followed by the instruction for how to use the darn thing. As in anything ranging from a few words, "wet to consistency, and cut, can also be rolled" to longwinded descriptions of multiple steps.

Preferably there is somewhere in here a possibility to link to your previous app-making experience, since pictures, or video-clips of the (expected) end results would liven things up. If possible, also known errors in production, and the image / video of what that produces. Like glitters that don't glitter, strobes that don't strobe, and so on.

Not every formula will have all fields filled.

It may also be possible to have some sort of "screening" process where contributors with higher rating can check lower rating contributer content. Again, you don't want to get a bunch of none working, or possibly quite dangerous compositions in the lists, but at the same time you do want to (well, i would) leave room for compositions that may no longer be very useful, superseded by more reliable, or cheaper versions. These should be quite clearly labeled as what they is. If someone wants to add a permanganate composition, they should be able to. As long as it's quite clearly labeled as insanely stupid to use, and not really having much of a place in pyro anymore.

B!

Thanks, MrB.

I'll work on that.

Cell phones can be dangerous in environments containing explosives. Those warnings at the gas pump aren't just a theoretical possibility. I don't really see the point in an app, when the device to use it shouldn't be in a workshop anyway.

• Like 1

i wouldn't look at this as a shop tool for the same reasons you mentioned, mumbles, but still useful. there have been a few times i have tried to explain an effect to a non pyro that a visual aid would have been handy.

• Like 1

Great idea MrB, that would be an amazing app.

Mumbles, can you clearify why cell phones are dangerous in a workshop ?

At gas stations I see the warning, but everybody ignores it & I never heard of a cellphone accidently causing a fire.

It's a pretty remote possibility, but cell phones are capable of generating static sparks or electrical sparks if it were ringing or on at the moment. Using electronics without preventative steps/modifications in explosive environments is not a great idea.

Cell phones can be dangerous in environments containing explosives. Those warnings at the gas pump aren't just a theoretical possibility. I don't really see the point in an app, when the device to use it shouldn't be in a workshop anyway.

Even the guy who's responsible for those signs being there in the first place said there is no evidence of this being true. The main reason for the fires is actually the simple fact that people tend to get in, and out of their vehicles, after which you may very well carry a static charge, touch near the pump handle, and ignite the fumes from the petrol filling. This is a well documented event. Gas-station fires caused by static sparks is always by a hand touching metal near the pump handle. Seeing as gas stations today are pretty well covered with video surveillance, it's no shock that every single fire in modern times have been recorded, and scrutinized. Yet no fire, ever, was started by a phone...

I hate to cite such a source, but Mythbusters actually had a couple of episodes on this. They cited Robert Renkes of the Petroleum Equipment Institute saying that 78% of the fires are started by females. Aparently over 50% of the fires started when someone went back in to their car while filling, got out, and brought the static charge they built up from the friction sitting down, and getting back up, right on to the filling handle. And, females were a lot more likely to get back in to the car while filling.

I don't know for sure of course, the main reason phones doesn't start gas fires at petrol stations could be that they rarely are within a couple of inches of the filler hole, and hence never in a environment that would actually support a fire, even if the phone did spark. Final kicker for the phone... From the surveillance tapes he's been going over at that point "for the last 10 years", there wasn't a single case where the phone was the culprit. It just doesn't happen.

So, why did Mythbusters even do a episode on it? There was an email going around, quoting Robert saying that you shouldn't use your phones there, since it could cause all sorts of havoc. He completely dismissed being the source of the quote, and not only that, he stated that phones are definitely not the primary cause, and the words: It just doesn't happen i used above... That actually IS a quote of his.

Phones may very well be a reason people get in and out of their cars... What do i know.

All electrical devices can short out, and generate sparks, and the battery technology used in these things are nothing short of small bombs. But i have, for quite some time, used a Galaxy Tab 2 for my notes, both reading, and writing in the shop. Given everything else thats in the workshop, that both will allow static buildup, and accidental spars from electrical, or mechanical problems, the phone, and the pad, is the least of my worries. Hell, some guys even use live glue-guns. The pad isn't even a close contender.

Also, since i work alone... There is no way i'm in my workshop without the phone. IF something were to happen, (lets hope not) it's my only means of getting help. I'm not going to waste time crawling to the nearest building, or my car, to obtain the / a phone.

Well, actually, i got a simcard in the Tab to, but you probably get the general idea.

Anyway, bringing your phone, or tablet with you in to your working environment shouldn't pose a problem. You might want to make sure that your device casing is made of a none sparking material, but other then throwing it on a hard surface causing sparks from the impact, it will be fine. I'd worry more about the WASP someone has, then the phone / pad he uses.

B!

Edited by MrB

Like I said, it's a remote possibility. The firework factory I used to work in explicitly banned them, and they were not the only one. I did a little more looking, and really no cell phone is certified for use in explosive environment. Most industries that deal with explosive environments (petrochemical, mining, etc) have regulations in place restricting or banning portable electronic devices. All are capable of generating sparks in one way or another. It seems that the most probable way is from dropping it and causing either a direct spark because of materials it is constructed of, or from the battery separating and arcing. Other potential source (shorts, vibrating motors, other open brushed motors, etc), have a negligible but non-zero risk.

I'm not saying you need to leave a cell phone miles away. Just leave it outside the door. If you're going to have a cell phone for safety reasons, I suggest getting one with physical buttons. Touch screens don't work too well with bloody hands.

I respect the Op's ideas and everyone's thoughts and opinions that have been posted here, but my concern is not about "stray static sparks" whether real or postulated, but more about putting some "kewl" app in the hands of amateurs.

Yes I know that it's already out there if one wishes to Google, but to condense into a simple app opens up a pandora's box / can of worms scenario.

Is it vetted, and who does the vetting?

@ Pirotechnica, I do really like your idea, and it would be a great app when used correctly by the people that "should" be using it. With this forum we have real people to do the vetting, and that's probably a good thing.

I've got my own database of pyro formulas. I can make compositions from it, and record results. It has a chemicals sub-database to refer to, with a "potential incompatibility" warnings list etc. I always print out on a sheet of paper with the composition and tick off as I go along - I make my comps in another room.

Great ideas, and the potential is there - but the implementation will be difficult.

Cheers.