APC Forum

Best type of Glue?

OblivionFall

Hey there, I used to use Hot Glue a lot for my projects but have recently moved on to using normal Glue. I used wood glue for a while but have recently been using Elmer's school glue.

What is the best all-round glue to use?

Thanks

I use Titebond II wood glue as an all purpose glue for paper and wood products. To ensure a good seal around time fuse and spolettes, I use liquid hide glue.

I use Titebond II wood glue as an all purpose glue for paper and wood products. To ensure a good seal around time fuse and spolettes, I use liquid hide glue.

All right, so Titebond II Hide Glue? Or Titebond II normal for everything and Titebond Hide Glue for Spollettes?

The answer is you need more than one type. :)

Look at all the different jobs that you would do with it.

making tubes,

pasting paper,

making cans

gluing in spollette tubes.

Like Nate said. Two is the bare minimum he uses. I would think his paste would count as three.

The titebond glues paper together quickly ,

then the hide glue is thicker and fills well . stays pliable I believe so it can move a bit and not crack.

If you look at some guys work benches they will have half a dozen different types of glue/paste on the bench.. all serving a different function.

Yes, the Titebond II and liquid hide glue are two different products. Caleb described them well.

He is right, I use a variety of adhesives for different jobs.

Titebond II Wood Glue

Hide Glue

Hot Glue

Wheat Paste

Wheat Paste made with dextrin liquor

A lump of tar

Nitrocellulose lacquer / BP Slurry

Gummed Kraft Tape

Paper Masking Tape

Foil Tape

I think that covers adhesives on my bench.

Yes, the Titebond II and liquid hide glue are two different products. Caleb described them well.

He is right, I use a variety of adhesives for different jobs.

Titebond II Wood Glue

Hide Glue

Hot Glue

Wheat Paste

Wheat Paste made with dextrin liquor

A lump of tar

Nitrocellulose lacquer / BP Slurry

Gummed Kraft Tape

Paper Masking Tape

Foil Tape

I think that covers adhesives on my bench.

Ok I gotcha. What material could I wrap around a spolette to prevent the BP inside of it from burning through the wall of the tube? I have ESTES fireproof wadding that I could wrap along with the paper when I roll the tube.

Your spolettes should only be burning for a few seconds and the tubes thick enough they will not burn through in that short time. The biggest concern is fire from the lift charge passing around the spolette and igniting the break. The pasted spiking twine around the spolette and a puddle of hide glue help ensure a good seal. Then when the shell is pasted, the ends of the paste wrap are lapped around the spolette and twisted to form a crown and a good seal.

CA glue comes in handy every once in a while and works quick when needed.

The CA glues come in different thicknesses depending on the task.

The CA glue works well for gluing time fuse into cap plug reports.

I use PVA glue (normal white glue) and wallpaper paste (Carboxymethylcellulose - CMC) for everything. Pure PVA for gluing spolettes and time fuse into end discs, wallpaper paste for paste wrap and pasting spiking string and a mixture of the two for rolling tubes. Never found I needed anything else!

There are a lot of different grades of white glue . I got some out of a cardboard box factory. wow that stuff works good ! instastuck !!

Eclectic E6000 will glue any two materials together. (glass, steel, concrete, wood, plastic)

Very strong and high dielectric value.

First off, I can second CMC as a good adhesive. It has a slippery consistency and doesn't tend to stick to your hands, but bonds paper very well. It also has a weak initial tack, giving a longer open-time than a lot of glues.

After reading through these posts, I've decided to stock up on some adhesives. What type of hide glue do you guys use? The liquid kind made by Titebond or the stuff that comes in pellet form?

I use the Titebond brand liquid hide glue. I've never used the pellets, but that seems like a hassle to me.

The problems I have noticed with PVA glue are air bubbles forming small pinholes when it dries. I have used it before and it has worked, but I am concerned that it could lead to a poor seal and a shell failure.

Small container of the liquid, so it is ready to go when you need it. If it starts going

bad you are only out the amount in a small container. Depends on how much you plan on using

on a yearly basis.

Cool. What advantages does liquid hide glue have over PVA, besides what nater mentioned? Is it better than hot glue for gap-filling applications?

I've added Scotch 77 to the list of adhesives I use. Great for making match pipe, and I use it where ever I want to apply a piece of paper and use the piece immediately. An example is adding a skirt to cylinder shells to contain the lift. Spray, let dry to a tack, wrap and fill. Quick and easy.

Kevin