APC Forum

4" Blue and Gold Cylinder Shell (under construction)

nater

4" cylinder shell filled with 1/4" blue resin stars and 3/8" C6 stars with FeTi added. Stars were bulk filled around a cannule. Burst is hot BP.

20150518_210344.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! No paste wrap?

None yet. That is the next step.

Ah, I see. Is that wheat paste I see on the spiking?

Yes, the hemp twine was saturated with wheat paste before spiking. There is also a puddle of hide glue around the spolette which needs to be dry before the paste wrap.

nater

what is the size of the cannule ?

memo

The table in Fulcanelli recommends 1" - 1 1/4" cannule for a 4" shell. I used section of 1" thin wall copper pipe.

nater

The table in Fulcanelli recommends 1" - 1 1/4" cannule for a 4" shell

where do i find the fulcanelli books or papers. i have heard a lot about fulcanelli but never see it.

memo

The Fulcanelli papers are contained in Pyrotechnica IX and XI. The proper title is "Tradional Cylinder Shell Construction Volume 1 & 2". The author(s) write under the pseudonym A. Fulcanelli. This is the bible for building shells in the Italian-American style. I do my best to follow it in an attempt to help preserve the art.

Ned Gorski has copies to resell at his site, www.fireworking.com

The are or were also available through Prometheus Publications, although the owner reportedly has been taking care of ill family members and is not always available with his books to sell.

• 3 weeks later...

The paste wrap was applied 2 layers of 60 lb kraft at a time, for a total of 4 layers. Each layer was twisted around the spollete forming a crown which will ensure a good seal from the lift gasses. Next step will be lift and leader before firing.

20150605_231515.jpg

• 2 weeks later...