APC Forum

Rocket launch update

Sparx88

edit; I had a bunch of needless yap going on so I did some trimming. Here, the latest rockets done over the last week and a half. Still working on it. No fancy headers yet, just trying to get verted correctly. Rockets are fun :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eufjeh6y06c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrZY68pGek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXcmPnA8Mbk

Edited by Sparx88
  • Like 1

They're looking good! They seem to have enough lifting power to lift your simple headers.

Wasn't sure if the first one popped the bulkhead or not though?

Remind me - are these nozzled or nozzleless?

These are nozzleless. Ya that first one had me floored lol. After watching how much slower the nozzled rockets were behaving it was awsome. It took off out of sight, I listened for it to land somewhere nearby to go and find the remains but I did'nt hear it land though bummer. I did'nt have anything on it just the motor. The last one #4 is what I ended up with on the next 4. I'm hoping they will behave. I had to reduce the dia. and length of the core to get them to do like they are in #2 and 4 of these here. I have a feeling I may have some more results when it gets darker today :D The next 4 to be clear will be nozzleless and have well, 2 of them will have much larger header on them, one with Hardt Green #5 stars and the other Sunrise Yellow.

The ones with nozzles went slower? That's interesting... I would have thought the thrust generated by a nozzled rocket would increase for a longer period of time during the burn than with a nozzleless rocket... (I expect I'll be getting a physics lesson from someone if I'm wrong...!)

What did you add to make the tail in #4?

• Like 1

I did notice like you said that the nozzled have a longer thrust duration. The first good rocket which was actually the 4th one I made was nozzled with a small header stuffed with sflash boosted bp and small chunks of win 19. That post is down a ways if you want to check it out. It went pretty high and had thrust the whole way up but was kinda slow. These being 7/16" I.D. has something to do with overall power and altitude being somewhat small. If I can get these to act as the first video does I would be a happy camper. I mean I would actually sleep out at the launch pad and cuddle up with the concrete blocks if they would all fly like that :) Though now that I said that I might want to be carefull what I wish for huh lol. Could'nt pull away from the family happanangs tonight to fire up the first 2 of the next 4. Tomorrow night. I'll have pics of the rockets and video. I'm trying the center fused pass fire and the side fused on these one of each to see if one is better than the other. Provided the motors behave :P

Oh ya, I added 100-200 mesh granular magnal for the tail. It was'nt much added as I wanted to see if it would be cool to do. As it turns out it did well. I think it may be able to take more magnal, this also part of the next 4 tests. I have firefly alum that I have'nt tried out yet, was thinking a combo of both for a bright silver tail and thrust. I just hope they don't arc over and hit the ground. I do want to move up into the 5/8" ID rockets for more power and alt though after I get these worked out first though.

Edited by Sparx88