APC Forum

Uses for 4.5 inch paper tubes?

Shunt

Just got (4) 10 foot long paper tubes from a roofing contractor for free. They are a bit over 4.5 inches I.D. spiral wound and have a wall thickness that is .355" or about 9mm. They seem quite sturdy, I cannot get them to flex pushing as hard as I can with both hands.

I am tempted to cut one down to mortar tube length, install a 3" thick plug and see how it does with a light can shell. Standard hemis obviously won't work due to the odd I.D. But I can make my own end discs and formers to work with the size for a cannister shell.

What would you do? If it blows out in the mortar test, maybe use for mine tubes? Suggestions as to length of tube and construction for mines of this size?

A lot of questions, but I would like to use 40 feet of this for something.

Maybe positive results will give me motivation to finally finish work on that larger ball mill :)

I have made ready boxes out of large diameter tubes to store rockets with sticks.

I glue a plug in the bottom and make a wood lid that slip fits on top of the tube.

I have also used different sized cardboard tubes to make storage canisters for charcoal

and other chemicals. I turn the top and bottom caps from wood on a lathe, the top

cap has a recessed handle turned into the lid that allows the canisters to stack on top

of each other. I have also used larger diameter tubes and glued multiple rocket motors

in the bottom to make a large scale rocket.

• Like 1

Long boxes for rockets is a good plan. If you really must try them as mortars then try some cylinder shells, it's easier to source a former to make cylinders than one to make hemis. Remember that your non standard tubes will need non standard shells which limits exchange or trade.

The Best course of action would be to buy a few commercial mortars, Often they are cheaper and lighter and stronger than jury rigged tubes, just a little more difficult to source til you know the suppliers.

My first shells were made with an odd ID as they were built to fit mortar tubes I'd made myself with thick walled cardboard tubing I'd sourced from a local carpet supplier. I had some moderate success with cardboard mortars until I left them outside when it rained and that was the end of that! All I can say is have a go at making one into a mortar and see how it goes! Some simple mines might be the easiest way to test it out...

I also second Wiley. Thick walled 4.5 inch tubes would make great 5 inch cylinder salute casings. You can then also use that to build a two part colour-report shell if you fancy!

I have also used different sized cardboard tubes to make modular headers that slip fit on top

of rocket motors. I use a flat disc on the bottom and glue a collar that slips over the OD dimension of the rocket motor. Making it a modular system allows me to quickly assemble at the shoot site and add materials to the header as needed. Or if each item is a complete assembly I can quickly join the two and fuse it and glue a stick onto it and it is ready to go.

"if it blows out", why would the end plug blow out? Mine is (barely) glued and screwed with 4 screws, and it holds a 6" with 100g lift very well. It fits tightly though, obviously.

There is some kind of laquer you can use to harden the tube, I was thinking you can use this or other similar products to coat the inside a couple of layers, to hopefully make it a 4" if thats interesting.

You can coat the inside of the tube with sodium silicate and if you wish also flush with calcium chloride after that or just use pottasium silicate.

1. Make 100g Flash Powder

2. Plug end of tube

3. Put in 100g Flash Powder

4. Plug other end of tube with fuse

5. ???

6. Profit Death

But really, try making a bengal flare, huge smoke bomb, big canister shell etc or maybe a 50lb BP rocket :)

Edited by OblivionFall
  • Like 1

Oblivion, what do you want to say with your post?

From this post and the other posts from the last days you made, i've got the feeling that you do not have any clue about handling and risk of flash powder.

Thanks for all the reply's, some good ideas to think about.

What length do you think I should use for a mortar tube? A 4" is usually 24" long and a 5" 30". Split the difference and go with 27"?

What about for a mine?

"if it blows out", why would the end plug blow out? Mine is (barely) glued and screwed with 4 screws, and it holds a 6" with 100g lift very well. It fits tightly though, obviously.

There is some kind of laquer you can use to harden the tube, I was thinking you can use this or other similar products to coat the inside a couple of layers, to hopefully make it a 4" if thats interesting.

I am not worried about the plug blowing out, but the tube itself. I will glue and screw in a 3" thick hardwood plug.

As for treating, I don't think it would be cost effective. By the time I buy wood hardner, lacquer, or sodium silicate and cut the plugs, + time spent, I could probably buy a commercial HDPE tube cheaper.

Thanks again for all the help!

Oh ok, I forgot how easily available stuff is in the US :)

It is for now, but we all know how that can change as fast as an uniformed politician can sign his name on a document.

That is why I like to re-purpose whatever I can find, and learn how to make everything myself, as was done many years ago by the masters that had only slow BP, paper and glue, but they still painted the sky!

Paper tubes tend not to hold up all that well over time without some sort of treatment. The residue from black powder tends to be rather hygroscopic, which will eventually lead to the inside of the mortar getting wet and unraveling in some cases. If you find you like this size of mortar, it might not be a bad idea to spend a little time and treat a mortar in some way. Sodium silicate is something some pyros have around, so it's not always an extra purchase. As an aside, it's a nice thing to fireproof fuse holes in cakes and some inserts. If you have any sort of wood sealant around, or have a friend re-finishing a deck, it should also work. Either has the added benefit of being able to clean out the mortars easier.

Everything mentioned so far seems like good ideas. Well except for OblivionFall's, but he's kind of an idiot. If you end up trying to use these for bottom shots, they'd be about the perfect size for a 6" shell after spiking and pasting. Once finished, you can roll the 6" break right over the top.

For mines you can make them whatever length you want. Long mortars result in more of a column shot. Shorter tubes make more of a fan type shot.

One other use for larger diameter tubes of solid construction is to cut them in short

lengths and use them on your work bench to support round shells while you are working

on them. Ball shells have a tendency of rolling around on a table top, so a short piece

of cardboard tube works great as a support under a ball shell while putting the two halves

together, taping the shell, fusing the shell, etc. basically a second set of hands when

building ball shells.

Another use for a short piece of cardboard tube is for making a peanut shell, a short piece

is used to attach the two ball shells together.

Oblivion, what do you want to say with your post?

From this post and the other posts from the last days you made, i've got the feeling that you do not have any clue about handling and risk of flash powder.

What I said above was a joke, obviously. I never reccomend anyone work with flash, I just assume that they will whether people tell them to or not. Perhaps I haven't been very clear and stated the dangers of working with flash, but that's because other people already have.

Thanks again for the info and ideas.

I will probably just use most of it for 1 or 2 shot experimental mines like cremoras, and just putting scrap comps up into the sky. The rest will be used for storage, or bench support tooling as mikeee suggested.

No way I would use them for salutes as my shoot site would not tolerate it. No clubs within about 400 miles of me to do that legal and safe.

If anyone knows how to make a reactor vessel out of them to distill useless comments like Mumbles noted above into something useful on this forum maybe I could retire early :huh:

Certain sized heavy wall tubes work really nice for Lampare shells. I use heavy fiberboard end plugs

turned on the lathe for the top and bottom plugs.

I also use cardboard tubes to ship certain sized case formers in the mail.

Certain sized heavy wall tubes work really nice for Lampare shells. I use heavy fiberboard end plugs

turned on the lathe for the top and bottom plugs.

I also use cardboard tubes to ship certain sized case formers in the mail.

You guys and your lathes :ph34r: , try hand routering these bad boys :P . I had a similar experience with some road construction rolls and these made wonderful Salute cans. Fit a 5" gun like a dream . I just routered a plug to a tad larger OD to close the gap from 4.5 to 4.75" and these made a sweet NYE resolution .

A wood lathe comes in handy for making Pyro supplies and tools.

CraigsList you can usually find a cheap lathe with tools for around $100.00 or less.

• Like 1

I have made ready boxes out of large diameter tubes to store rockets with sticks.

This idea is silly...

ddewees,

The larger sauna tubes provide plenty of room there is a wood plug in the bottom

and a slip fit lid on top. I carry my rocket sticks and materials in the box to

club shoots and press and assemble the motors and attach the sticks and store

the rockets inside the box until they are ready to be launched. I also have one

that has a tube in tube design so it can extend to any size to accommodate larger

taller rockets when building 3# and larger rockets. (KISS)

post-11643-0-95916800-1431887549_thumb.jpg