APC Forum

Pharmacy grade sulfur

Diorakal

*sniff* *sniff* I think 98%.

No, we can't smell that.

Normally pharmacy grade should have a very high purity grade, but just ask the pharmacy where you bought your sulfur.

• Like 1

*sniff* *sniff* I think 98%.

No, we can't smell that.

Normally pharmacy grade should have a very high purity grade, but just ask the pharmacy where you bought your sulfur.

Ok thanks for the reply andres.

What is sulfur even used for pharmaceutically?

Sulphur is used in horse veterinary treatments. Usually pharmacy chems are very pure and hence very expensive,

• Like 1

What is sulfur even used for pharmaceutically?

It has antibiotic and antifungal properties and is used in various skin treatments. It is also used as a compound in many drugs; magnesium sulfate, ferrous sulfate, and others. There is a large class of sulfa drugs, many are different antibiotics and allergies are common.

• Like 1

I know that some sulfates have their medicinal uses (magnesium sulfate is considered a "saline laxative"), but have never seen sulfur itself sold in a pharmacy. Granted, I never looked for it either. Sorry Diorakal, I'm not trying to derail your thread, just got curious.

I'm the UK Sulphur is only used as an element as a part of various tar preparations used to treat psoriasis. Usually in the region of 4%.

Mag Sulfate as an IV solution is also used to convert a lethal cardiac dysrhthymia to something which can perfuse oxygen through the body. It can help treat seizures and hypertension in a pregnant woman and help slow down contractions in preterm labor. We can also use it in addition with other drugs for certain respiratory emergencies.

You are not likely to find Sulfur on the shelf at a pharmacy, you might have to ask the tech or the phamacist. Not all pharmacies offer compounding services for custom prepared drugs, so it may be harder to find there.

Edited by nater

I would expect anything truly sold in a pharmacy to be about as pure as you could get. Somebody selling something as "pharmaceutical grade" may or may not be delivering what you expect depending on the source.

Back in the 60's you could find KNO3 and sulfur on the shelf in many drug stores. Never even had to ask for it. Then it disappeared behind the big counter. Then you had to sign for it. Now, it's not worth the effort.

Lots of other reasonable sources for quality chems.

i get my kn03 and sulfur at the farm supply, the sulfur is 99% pure and the kn03 is teck grade 5 bucks a kilo for sulfur abd 52 bucks for 25 kilos kn03, this is in central america

memo

I know that some sulfates have their medicinal uses (magnesium sulfate is considered a "saline laxative"), but have never seen sulfur itself sold in a pharmacy. Granted, I never looked for it either. Sorry Diorakal, I'm not trying to derail your thread, just got curious.

Hi Burritobandito

No problem bro just go on :)