APC Forum

Flash Covered Rice Hulls?

OblivionFall

I was watching VikingPyrotechnic's video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqhslN9ot5s

He made what I assumed is 70:30 Perchlorate: Dark Al Flash Powder but he also mixed it with two things, one of those being Rice Hulls (the other being Ti I think.)

Does mixing Flash with Rice Hulls do the same thing as mixing BP with it?

Thanks

Edited by OblivionFall

In a salute such as that, the rice hulls serve to keep the report comp fluffy and prevent it from becoming compacted. Because the rice hulls take up so much space, the heading is cheaper and lighter than if it were filled full of flash.

It is also common to dust rice hulls with some type of flash when it is to be used as a break charge. When used that way, the hulls are typically coated with BP (4:1 - 7:1 is common) once dried the coated hulls are then dusted with flash to strengthen the burst.

In a salute such as that, the rice hulls serve to keep the report comp fluffy and prevent it from becoming compacted. Because the rice hulls take up so much space, the heading is cheaper and lighter than if it were filled full of flash.

It is also common to dust rice hulls with some type of flash when it is to be used as a break charge. When used that way, the hulls are typically coated with BP (4:1 - 7:1 is common) once dried the coated hulls are then dusted with flash to strengthen the burst.

Ok, that makes sense. Would CAB-O-SIL eliminate the need for rice hulls? (With the exception of weight.)

How much of the performance is sacrificed from mixing it with Rice Hulls? I remember reading that BP rice hulls have almost exactly the same amount of power.

There is no need for the rice hulls, the biggest advantage to using them is cost. The use of rice hulls in a salute is different than their purpose in burst for ball shells.

I have never compared a full flash salute and one mixed with rice hulls side by side to be able to tell the difference. Assuming the comp does not get compacted, a salute without any filler should be louder because it will contain more comp. Of course there are variables like the surface area of the rice hulls.